Have you planned to buy a PS Vita?

Sony announced they’re closing the Playstation Mobile store.

Anything you own on there will no longer be downloadable after early September.

More details:

Thanks! That could’ve been it… skeeters are always a problem where I live & travel.

Quick, download Rymdkapsel and… and… is there anything else good in playstation mobile that isn’t ported to Android/IOS/PC already?

Super Crate Box, maybe.

The Tokyo Jungle roguelike thing is great.

So Flame Over, which just came out this week, is balls hard, but I kinda love it.

So besides the long load times, Counterspy is kinda great. I loaded it on a lark thinking I’d try it out. When it told me it had randomly generated levels, my interested immediately piqued, there are a fewer pair of words that gets my gaming jollies more riled up than “procedurally generated” or “randomly generated.” When I began playing, it dawned on me: This is a mostly-side-scrolling, 2D, randomly generated Cold War Alpha Protocol style game! I immediately fell in love right there.

Between this and the amazing Flame Over, I’m having a fabulous time.

Oh, I also started Rainbow Moon. It’s not bad, sure is colorful!

All this because I decided to make sure I use my Vita more. I’m really glad I did. It’s been mostly hiding in my man purse, going everywhere with me but rarely being used. Now I’m taking it out of the bag to make sure I SEE it so I remember I have it (seriously, out of sight out of mind otherwise) and am rekindling my love for the thing. It’s so great.

I have an Olli Olli 2 callus on my left thumb from my vita.

Oohhh, I need to play that next!

Thanks for reminding me about this! I played it at the EGX last year and loved it. Totally forgot about it, what with everything releasing this week.

So, 1 month after I got sucked into the Vita-only free-to-play game Destiny of Spirits (8 posts up), Sony announces end of service on June 30, 2015. They are running a fan appreciateion event from April 2 to the end, with discounts on IAP and more gifts and easier drops, but I wonder why I want to keep playing.

Gamefaqs is filled with people crying about spending hundreds to thousands(!) of dollars on this game. Wow, so THEY are the mythical whales…

I didn’t think it was doing badly. It had an over 1/2 a million users celebration last summer.

Maybe it’s related to the Maps & Near shutdown? Destiny of Spirits used the GPS.

It also had a 1 million users celebration just 2 months ago.

Yes, I think you are right. This game uses the GPS at least once per startup, and more often on demand. It didn’t matter to the gameplay, but it determines what pokemon…I mean Demons…I mean Spirits you can hunt or summon. It’s too bad, because I was just getting into the mid-level grinding strategies. This game is pretty generous with its non-paid currencies, so I can get pretty far with time.

On the back of some recent travel and tax refunds (and a hefty PS+ free back catalog), I did in fact finally buy a Vita!

It’s pretty neat.

Yaaaaaaay!

Hope you bought a big enough memory card. All those free games add up!

So a rumor is floating around that the Vita is about to get a big price cut: to $89.

What do you folks think if this were to happen? Boon for the platform, or the last throes before discontinuation?

I think that would be an amazing deal for anyone who buys one given the existing library. But if they go that low, it probably means Sony is giving up on the platform and clearing out existing stock well below cost.

Agreed. An $89 price tag on the Vita likely means liquidation. I’d be a bit surprised to see that, but you never know.

Sigh. I hope that if they did that, they’d open it up to third part operating systems so it can do emulation and such like the PSPs.

We just had a $99 clearance nationwide at Walmart in Canada that was later said to have been a price error, but it could have been intentional.

It was silly seeing them on the shelves next to more expensive Playstation TV bundles.