Have you planned to buy a PS Vita?

Yeah, my Vita has been underused as of late, but I still love it. So many experiences I get there I can’t get anywhere else - Danganronpa, Freedom Wars, etc.

Personally, I find that I tend to go on binges with it - I won’t touch it for a while, but then I’ll play a ton of stuff on it. Same for my 3ds.

I feel weird that I hate gaming on my iPad / iPhone. I’ve had one since the iPhone 3 and games these days all seem the same. Like I’ve played all the variants of a touch screen game you can make (or something). Probably exacerbated by the utter garbage that the App Store is in terms of finding something decent to play.

My PS Vita still gets a ton of usage, but I came to the ‘game’ late (just got it last November) and I have a huge backlog of PS+ games to get through.

You should be able to backup your saves on a PS3 or PS Plus if that’s an option. I’d agree Sony’s systems leaves much to be desired when it comes to securing data.

Well, i just contacted support. There is ZERO sony warranty for the memory cards. When their website mentions a warranty, it is solely talking about the memory card that comes with the vita. This is bullshit, but i wasn’t expecting much from them in the first place.

I did end up getting a 16 gb card (mostly because the 8gb was the same price, fuck you sony). I don’t really want to give sony more money at the moment, but i’ve got a bunch of vita games that i’ve been playing and i don’t really want to just give up the games i’ve already bought.

So yeah, i don’t recommend buying one of the larger memory cards for vita. It might seem convenient to be able to have all of your games on it, but you don’t need that and the risk is too high, especially with sony not standing behind their overpriced, crappy memory cards at all.

I still 80% don’t regret buying my vita. I’ve got a number of hours out of it. Even with there being a (superior) version of SOA coming out on ps4. I do wish i had not bought the 32 gb memory card.

I also wish i had enabled auto upload for all of my games. Due to the memory corruption/whatever, i was not able to get save data on all my games (no matter what the end point was). I did get most of them though thankfully.

It all leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. I doubt it affects most people, but i was able to find people with the exact same story as me.

What is this I don’t even.

I was looking through upcoming Vita releases, because Amazon now knows that I want to buy Persona 4: Dancing All Night, and has terrible suggestions for me. I guess that it’s basically a younger generation’s J-Stars Vs? I haven’t seen any of the Dengeki Bunko anime, but I’m aware that they’re relatively well liked.

Sega’s choices for cross-promotional projects are so weird. On the other hand, playing as Selvaria in a fighting game sounds pretty baller.

The game itself is awful. I usually like French Bread’s stuff, but you can really tell they phoned it in for DBFC.

How much time should I give to Danganronpa before deciding whether it’s for me or not? I borrowed a copy from a friend and it’s pretty tedious so far. Characters who are archetypes / stereotypes by design who don’t really give me much reason to care about them, and controls that I find infuriating. (I don’t know why it’s 3d-FPS controls at all, and without ability to invert axes to boot.)

Also, how branching is the narrative?

I stopped Danganronpa after the first trial, but went back to it a few months later and enjoyed it much more. IIRC it has a really slow start, but once a few characters start dying off it gets better and better. There is no branching narrative.

I’d say to complete 2 trials before dropping it. The beginning is really slow because of Japanese world-building trope, so at least that’s out of the way for the 2nd trial. And you can imagine that some characters will start to crack under the story premise by then…

I just finished Danganronpa the day before yesterday, and I’ve got its sequel ‘wishlisted’. I don’t want to play it until next year, though…somehow I think I won’t enjoy it as much if I play it immediately after the first one.

I played it with Japanese voices, then after trial 2 I restarted again with English voices. The English dub is fantastic! Especially at the last trial…

Yeah. I actually just finished the first trial on the train this morning, and while it’s getting better, it still feels a little tedious. They made a lot of decisions to create the illusion of choice and interaction that actually just make the entire thing take forever.

Similarly, there’s the problem where the solution to the murder can be immediately obvious, but then you have to figure out how to drag your moron of a protagonist to the correct conclusion.

I think this is just a problem with murder-mystery games in general. The solution has to be clear enough to be solvable by a huge range of people who are paying more and less attention (and have more and less exposure to mystery tropes), so it becomes tedious if you’re on one end of the spectrum.

It would be pretty cool if the different difficulty levels had more elaborate murder scenarios, with the hardest difficulty just being straight up obscure impossible bullshit that the game had to lead you to unless you happened to know that all alligators are male if incubated above 34 degrees or some such random bullshit. But it sounds like it’s just more truth bullets instead.

Yeah, the higher logic difficulties adds more truth bullets, and adds more pictures into the final comic book summary. However the story and all the answers are all fixed, so the same walkthrough can be used at any difficulties. When I restarted the English run, I set all difficulties at high, and thank god that the non-stop debate timer pauses when you consult your PDA to read the truth bullets’ details.

Also, a quick spoiler note about Danganronpa, if I may:

first murder

I felt a little let down by the first murder (not just because the LEON blood text was immediately obvious), but because the game had set up a better motive than it used. In the first conversation you have with Leon, he mentions how he wants to be a singer instead of a baseball player, and with Sayaka gone, there would be a huge gap in the music / idol world where he could have tried to position himself.

So I kept expecting that to come up as a complication, either as a general motive, or as a more interesting complication. e.g. Sayaka’s video showed Leon being offered a contract, or Sayaka and Leon’s videos being switched or showing the same thing or something.

Instead, it was just completely arbitrary. And they didn’t even try to use it as a red-herring or anything. It forced you one detail about a character, and then promptly ignored it. Just seems sloppy.

Danganronpa first trial discussion

[spoiler]You still could be right. The game never mentioned why Sayaka chose to slip the note to Leon in the first place. I’m sure that the markets between girl idols and boy idols don’t have much overlap, so there may not be any perceived competition anyways.

As an aside, I’ve read somewhere that the design of Leon’s style and clothing comes from an employee of the game company who is massively into punk rock.[/spoiler]

And I’ve mentioned elsewhere…since watching Utena, I’ve learned to try to pay more attention to foreshadowings and other surrounding stuff like that in games and anime. That paid off for this game for me, and yet I still missed a few things.

I might say more about Danganronpa, but if I do, I’ll probably move it over to the Visual Novel thread (of which I think there is one).

PS Vita portable charger 80% off at Amazon; currently $9.95.

-Todd

Wow. I’ve never even seen that thing before.

I plan on getting a VITA in the future, but it looks like I could also use this as a supplemental battery for my iPhone/Pad. What cables would I need for that? I assume the USB-to-Lightning would be used to make it power my iPhone, but what do I need to charge the portable charger itself?

Seems to be using the equipment bundled with Vita to charge the battery so you wouldn’t need to buy anything extra.

“USB Cable and AC Adaptor are not included. Use the USB Cable and AC Adaptor supplied with the PS Vita System.”

It looks cheap and nasty though, most likely 5000mAh which will charge Vita 1.5 times. Of course $10 is quite cheap. :)

You can use any portable battery really, with most of them you shouldn’t need any extra cables as they tend to be powered by standard micro USB, which people tend to have lots of from other device chargers. I’d shop around, the Xiaomi ones are popular and top quality, and often can be had for great prices.

edit: corrected the incorrect information initially provided!

You need the official Vita cord to charge the battery.

The battery also has a USB port for other charging needs.

Just be careful what else you charge since I don’t know if the battery regulates output.

-Todd

Did we ever talk about the whitelist hack that lets you play any Vita game you want on the PSTV? Well, if not it’s too late. The 3.55 update kills it. I don’t understand the point of killing that if you’re done supporting the platform. Let us have our free-for-all, and give Sony more money in the process.