Having cancer

The greatest part of this whole experience, I mean apart from the fact of watching Tom emerge from surgery looking strong enough to rip the ears off a gundark, was watching Tom try to engage his really cool and hip PA, John, in a conversation about Star Trek during the pre-op . Yes, folks. That really happened. I can’t believe you skipped that part, Tom, and I’m sick about the fact that I couldn’t find a way to stream that conversation.

John the PA was this tall, super-hip dude who came in to Tom’s little pre-op staging area and upon seeing Tom exclaimed, “You!” They exchanged pleasantries since apparently John had been there during the prep appointment a couple days earlier. Tom introduced him to me (a manly handshake ensued) and John went about talking Tom through the particulars of what was about to happen. For the impossible-to-number-time he asked if Tom was allergic to any medication. A nurse offscreen (that is to say, somewhere over at the desk station/bridge) asked John a question about something or other I cannot remember. John replied, “Negative, Ghost Rider.”

Without thinking I said, “The pattern is full.”

I’m sorry. I could not help it. It’s like a weird nerd call-and-response.

Without looking up from Tom’s charts John smiled slightly and said, “Thanks for finishing that.”

And we were off to the races.

John went through the rest of the chart stuff, and answered some of my weird questions about medications and whatnot. Then he went off to make some printouts of the medication particulars. He came back and told Tom more of what to expect. There was a brief lull and Tom said, I shit you not, “So John. What movies have you seen recently?” John leaned down on that rolling thing they use for feeding patients and writing upon and it suddenly became a lectern, and somehow, I cannot remember how, this became a protracted discussion about Star Trek. Star Trek! With Tom! Chick! I’m not quite sure how this happened, but early on in the conversation, because I had been considering a favorite piece of music from Wrath of Khan for the last 3x3 and like a total goofball admitted this to him late after recording the movie podcast, Tom asked John if he could name the nebula where Kirk (in the Enterprise) and Khan (in the Reliant) battled. Without hesitation John said, “The Kutara Nebula.”

I thought that was pretty cool. He was so close. It was so one of those shave-and-a-haircut moments for me not to correct him. But he’s the Physician’s Assistant for Tom’s surgeon! He’s forgotten more footnotes than body text I’ll ever know! So I just kind of clamped down and told myself to STFU.

After a couple moments he looked to me to be sure. “Kutara Nebula?”

“Well, it’s the Mutara Nebula. I love that piece of music so much.”

“I know!”

The conversation went on from there, Tom doing his lame, “Wait. Is Undiscovered Country the one where they find God?” and “Which one is the one where the pig farmer from Babe invents the warp drive?” silliness to keep the conversation going, all the while rolling his eyes and enjoying us geeking out over Star Trek, which honestly, I don’t know that well outside the movies, to pass the time. I have to say, it was glorious. And another example of how great Tom is at interview, moderating, and just conversation in general. Here is this PA, who has a ton of stuff to do, and he is hooked into a conversation about Star Trek with the two of us because Tom engaged.

Best thing about the day. I mean except for that moment when he was wheeled out from surgery and I knew just from looking at him the hospital wheelchair was truly just a formality. That realization is the best thing ever, and passed on to you all as way of objectively confirming that things are looking good.

Now please excuse me while I try to get back up to speed on Ascension. Dang it.

-xtien

You jerks make having cancer sound super cool! Stop it already!

All the best with your recovery Tom. Resist the urge to record, although you could do silent ones maybe, in black and white with a ‘scratchy’ film filter and subtitles or something? ;)

Haha, my thoughts exactly! But we know it’s friendship that’s super cool…

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Tom.

Also, while I’m thinking about it, I hope the intelligent and lovey Mrs. Wisdom is doing well, too.

It’s amazing that after all the awfulness that a cancer (or any other) patient has to go through, and then look a “hardcore laryngoscopy and a subglottal esophageal dilation” in the eye and walk in and out like it’s nothing. Congratulations to Tom and everyone else who is fighting this, and to all their supporters.

And thanks to Dingus for being Tom’s friend.

Great (and terrible) stories. Thanks for sharing.

I’ve been fortunate in life (so far) to have relatively few health problems, been to the ER for a couple of accidents and had my wisdom teeth removed in an outpatient surgical procedure but that’s about it. This has the unfortunate side effect of making me a complete wimp when it comes to doctors and checkups for even the most minor things. I agree with ddtibbs, the fact that a bunch of you guys (and your significant others) can stare down the various ailments you’ve encountered and come through gracefully like it ain’t no thing is impressive to me. You’re tough, and you have my respect.

Also really liked that story Christien. Tom can mock Star Trek and Star Wars all he wants but I know he’s a geek’s geek.

I am just inebriated enough to want to buy a plane ticket and fly out there and hug you both. Also, just sober enough to know that is a terrible idea and that money could be better spent elsewhere (EX: supporting Qt3) and that you would both look at this 6’ 4" bald, bearded guy funny and then have to go home to rest anyway. Virtual hugs. Back to Renowned Explorers.

So, not to be crass, but pics or it didn’t happen.

:D

Love ya, Tom!

Ditto with Pogue. I’ve been fortunate to avoid any serious medical conditions but reading these truly personal and touching stories at once both horrifies me with the prospect of illness, but inspires me with the strength of character that you demonstrate in enduring them.

Get lots of rest, Tom, hope you feel better soon.

Tom, if it’s not prying too much…um, how did it go today on your followup?

Thanks for asking! I was actually just coming here to post.

The biopsies came back negative. Which always seems like that should be called “positive”, but whatever, science. The doctor did one of those freaky nose-tube scopes on me, showed me the gross pictures, explained what I was looking at, and put them side by side with pictures from before the surgery. A before and after. He showed me where he cut and where the balloon dilated the passage. It all looks gross and pink and wet to me, but I definitely see a difference. He said as I keep healing, I’ll feel better. The scary thing – and I’m not sure whether I’m glad that he didn’t mention this before – was that the scar tissue was perilously close to actually closing off (!) the passage of air. I really needed to have had this done way earlier, and I would have if it wasn’t for the cock-up with my healthcare.

The possible bad news – and, really, it’s not bad because it implies I can get even better – is that they’ll probably want to do it again in three months. Which means listening to Dingus and the physician’s assistant talk about Star Trek again. Maybe I can get the general anesthesia early.

-Tom

Whew. I didn’t want to let on, but its been on my mind.

Huzzah! Good news!

Great news, Tom!

Great news – and thanks for making us laugh, too. :)

Yay, glad to hear the good news, Tom!

My surgeon (who was also my oncologist in charge of my ongoing care while I was in MI) was really aggressive about scar tissue. I get the Total Recall every six months regardless, because my sinuses are basically huge and accumulate a ton of garbage now, but one time was extra narsty.

She showed me the scar tissue on the live cam, and was like, “You don’t want this. I’m going to cut it out.”

“Uh, sure?” So she hosed me down with a bunch more local anaesthetic (which tastes really, really awful as it slowly slides down the back of your throat) and just went to town with basically a long-handled scissors, just hacking out this useless tissue that my stupid body had grown there.

Good times. She was right, though, and I could totally tell the difference in airflow.

CHEERS!

Yay, Tom. Awesome!

I read and enjoyed your posts about the visit to the hospital, but for some reason I thought this line was about the podcast, and for just a minute I wondered why Kelly Wand seemed to have a new nickname. I was like, Wait, there’s a new Star Trek coming out?

Be well!

I mean, Live long and prosper!