Having cancer

I’m always afraid to click on this thread when it pops up, but now I’m glad I did.

That’s really awesome to hear. Congrats!

I had the same thoughts here. “Oh no. What fresh bullshit did cancer get up to this time?” But then, good news! Yay!

Adam, I am so happy to hear you’re clean! That is so awesome and I just can’t tell you how thrilling that is to hear. :)

I feel bad but I don’t recall what kind of cancer you’re dealing with? Was it an intral-nasal or sinus type cancer?

Congratulations. Awesome news.

Great news, Adam. I’m happy for you. And for us. Yay!

That’s great news!

Thanks for the update! Awesome news!

Thanks everyone!

@jpinard Yeah, it was in my right ethmoid sinus. Good times.

Glad to hear, Adam!

Great to see good news! :)

Excellent news Adam!

I’ve been in a cave and missed this. Run ups to scans and tests are pretty miserable. Such wonderful news @inactive_user. Very happy for you!!!

I missed this too, somehow. Seeing 15 new replies to this thread always makes my blood run cold; nice to see it was good news.

Glad to hear, Adam!

Treatments that cause the immune system to attack cancer earn a Nobel

The results, in many ways, are spectacular. In a melanoma study population, most patients would have been dead in two years; after treatment, more than 70 percent were still alive at 18 months. And, as mentioned earlier, the two treatments can be effective against a huge range of cancers, since they target the immune system and rely on that to provide specificity against different tumor types.

That said, the autoimmune problems have not gone away. In some cases, they can be fatal and in others will require life-long treatments for the side effects.

Phew! My jaw always clenches up when I see that this thread has a new post in it. Nice to see optimistic news.

I am… somewhat familiar with Car-T. It is remarkable, mostly in clinical trials now and… hugely expensive not to mention I’m told a painful and laborous process. The trials I am aware of, and there maybe others, actually require you to fail other treatments before you go through this. The drugs themselves are several hundred thousand, but the chance to go from say 6 months to live to, in some cases, cancer free is still remarkable.

I believe that the Nobel is for checkpoint inhibitors, not CAR T cell therapy. Both are remarkable advances that unleash the immune system on cancers.

You’re right. They just Car-T, it’s the other one they’re honoring but they describe both as promising. Which they absolutely are. I just know about one of them, not really the other, yet.

That’s fascinating (and a bit scary, as to the insights into the cause
of our own wide-range of auto-immune disease).

I assume that’s corticotherapy? While it is heavy, it seems a mild trade-off for remission of a deadly cancer, especially for the ones which are known suspects for the fatal brain metastases (which require corticotherapy anyway, merely to mitigate their symptoms).