HBO Max - Recommendations and Exclusives (as of 5/23/23: Just Max)

My buddy kept telling me about this Strike Back show with hoo boy wow sex scenes in it. So, I ended up watching a couple of episodes of the Richard Armitage one and was like “what sex scenes? Am I watching the right show?” Turns out, apparently not. Glad to have that mystery sorted :)

Jus finished The Head. I thought it was going to fall apart, but it managed to pull it off. I actually think it might have been better at feature film length, though that would have provided less opportunity to listen to Katharine O’Donnelly’s accent, so maybe a 6 episode miniseries was OK. Also fun to see Álvaro Morte here in a role that is quite different than The Professor from Money Heist.

Major spoilers here:
@Sharpe didn’t you think that it borrowed its structure rather heavily from The Usual Suspects, even down to the fake tremor? The only wrinkle was the presence of a second witness, which actually made for an interesting retelling of the story with two unreliable narrators.

I snuck in just under the wire on the HBO Max six month sub. Just finished The Outsider and given the recent discussion I think The Head is up next. I recall some extended discussion about Raised By Wolves when it came out, but I don’t recall if people thought it was worth the time investment. Anyone?

It depends on whether you care about how it ends. The beginning is pretty good with strong characters and worldbuilding, high production values, and an interesting concept. The last couple of episodes start to let Ridley Scott weirdness bleed through and the final episode is a travesty.

Holy smokes! HBO Max has the first two seasons of Final Space. I loooooved Season 1. I’ll be driving into Season 2.

Be sure to buckle up!

Watched the first three episodes of The Head yesterday and pretty good so far. I’d like that it’s only six episodes so it doesn’t feel like they will drag stuff out very much.

This also goes here

That implies that there was ever any intention of continuing simultaneous HBO Max releases once the crisis was over, which I highly doubt.

I am three episodes in as well and as John Carpenter’s The Thing is one of my favorite films, and few I think hold up all these years later, I am really enjoying the inspiration this series takes from it.

CALLS.

Have you watched Calls? It’s not exactly as TV show as much as a set of very well acted podcast vignettes that are Twilight Zone-y with some kinda cool digital effects showing up on your screen.

I watched/listened to two of them before forcing myself to bed last night. Really good. Do give them a try.

Narrator Edit: It was, in fact, on Apple+.

TLDR:

Bringing up Baby (1938)
Goodfellas (1990)
Guy Ritchie’s King Arthur: Legend of the Sword (2017)
Mask of Zorro (1998)
Mr Smith Goes to Washington (1939)
New Mutants (April 10th, 2021)
Mortal Kombat (April 23rd, 2021)

I’ve seen Goodfellas from that list, but I’ve always wanted to watch it a second time. Maybe now is the time. And the rest sound interesting. Back in 98 I had no interest in Mask of Zorro, but I’m curious about it now. My Antonio Bandaras hatred seems inexplicable and weird now.

Is this on HBO Max?

Crap, It’s on Apple+. Sorry. I switch around so much and I was in a fog yesterday. Sorry!

Ty. Jenks. A man who attempted to subscribe to multiple streaming services to alleviate the crushing boredom of being home all day in a global pandemic. Soon, he will discover that this latest streaming acquisition is not only a portal to online entertainment, it’s also a portal to…confusion. And disorientation. A portal to…the Twilight Zone.

Haha. Accurate.

When New Mutants ends up on a “best things to watch this month” you know you’ve made a weird turn.

I mean it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be, but it’s definitely not “best things to watch” material. You should rewatch pretty much anything else instead of New Mutants.

Mask of Zorro is a really great movie. You have to look past Anthony Hopkins playing a Spaniard but hey, if you can buy Sean Connery as a Spaniard it shouldn’t be a huge leap.

He’s not Spanish, he’s Egyptian

I stand corrected. An Egyptian Spaniard with a Scottish accent. Why not?

One of the great screwball comedies. Highly recommended for anyone in the mood for a classic, Golden Age flick.