HBO Max - Recommendations and Exclusives (as of 5/23/23: Just Max)

ATT doesn’t like to share its cookies with the other kids on the playground, even if they own most the playground.

Max website is live to login and stream, as are apps for supported devices. Does look like it doesn’t remember what youve been watching on regular HBO or carry over any watchlist you have. So will need to re add stuff again.

Friends was kind of interesting as a character study, and was actually pretty funny a lot of the time, too. I enjoy it quite a bit. I don’t go out of my way to rewatch it, but it occasionally finds it way to my screen even now. My two teenage daughters have both watched several seasons when it was on Netflix, but neither of them watched the whole series.

I’m actually kind of surprised to see Gilmore Girls show up on several states’ lists. Not that it isn’t a fine show, which it very much is, I was just completely unaware that anyone outside of my own house was watching it.

If you haven’t seen it, Doom Patrol is worth your time if you are a Max subscriber.

The story is that Roku and Amazon want to keep HBO integrated with their channel guides while AT&T only wants people using it through the app. They’re fighting over that.

Roku+Amazon together comprise something like 75%+ of all streaming in the US so they do have substantial leverage.

Sadly this is like the only DCU show to make the crossover. Harley Quinn isn’t on Max which sucks.

It’s official, no 4K. Its planned though, supposedly.

But they had HBO Go. That’s interesting.

I assumed they just hadn’t updated the Roku software for HBO Max yet.

I hope they sort out Roku soon. Perhaps HBO is waiting for initial launch data to strengthen their bargaining position with Roku and Amazon.

I’m thinking there is probably a way to cast from my iPad to my Roku–may have to play with that to see if it works.

FYI

53 percent of all consumers who don’t get HBO through their pay TV provider are purchasing it via Amazon channels, TDG estimated in a new report titled The Future of Direct-to-Consumer Video Services.

Maybe this observation is only superficial and behind the scenes it’s all very different, but it’s weird that now Apple TV (the hardware) has everything and Apple TV (the content, both Apple TV+ and purchased iTunes media libraries) is available outside of their own hardware, while Roku is now left without a popular service (HBO Max) because of disputes about how they can integrate their content. Both companies have sort of moved toward the positions the other used to be in.

Pretty sure there’s a screen mirroring options, but that seems…inelegant.

Unrelated to platforms, it sounds like the position from Warner is currently that they largely want to maintain DC Universe as its own thing. I sure hope they back down on that sooner rather than later and fold it all into HBO Max.

I could never find a way to mirror anything to my TCL Roku TV from my phone or iPad outside of the content available in the Roku app. I think there’s a way to load local media on those devices into the app so I could put up my photos or maybe video I shot, but definitely nothing like AirPlay that would let me stream content from other apps or services.

Really? That’s odd. I could’ve sworn my girls were doing it this past weekend – we just got a TCL Roku TV as well, and I could’ve sworn my oldest was doing something…similar to that.

Well okay, as I think about it more, I guess she was choosing Youtube videos from her phone and somehow sending them to the Youtube app on the TV, which I suppose is not the same thing at all. I said “How are you doing that?” and she replied phone mirroring to the TV, but I guess technically that may not have been what she was doing. I didn’t put a whole lot of thought into it at the time, sorry.

I might be missing something too, I didn’t spend too long trying to figure it out. That was my impression though.

Well, every player in this space wants to integrate all the various services to provide a better user experience, because it sucks rocks having to go into a dozen separate apps to reach the content you want to watch. It’s the content providers who are the bad guys here.

Worth a shot. :-)

Yeah, it’s just funny that if you over-simplify things, it looks like Apple started with that as a priority and eventually gave up on fully integrating everything, while Roku started ambivalent but now think maybe they’ll crack the code and be the ones who can integrate it all.

This is weird to me as well. I really like Gilmore Girls but, it being such a WASPY New England show, I never would have expected it to be so popular in south-central states like Arkansas and Oklahoma. Could be the focus on a small town and its strong family dynamics. There aren’t too many modern shows like that.