HBO Max - Recommendations and Exclusives (as of 5/23/23: Just Max)

Tenet is now up on HBO Max.

Oddly it’s release time was 7pm Central Time. I had heard it was going up today, couldn’t find it and ran into an HBOMax reply to a tweet giving the 7pm Central Time release — I suppose it has something to do with when it’s actually broadcast on the HBO channel.

Mare of Easttown is pretty good. I lived in Glenolden (about 4 mile north) for a few decades in the 1990’s, and it kinda captures that time for me. Anyways, the characters are good, and they drink the right beer, even Mare with the Rolling Rock. Basically, everyone drinks Yuengling, and if you don’t, then everyone hates you, just like Mare! (sort of).

oh, thanks for pointing out Mare of Easttown to me. I had never heard of Easttown (the actual place), but I knew about the Rolling Rock/Yuengling stuff, lol. I grew up near Harrisburg and the trailer for this seems very familiar right down to the high school sports. I might have to check it out.

Yeah, I’m hooked on Mare of Easttown. It’s great it’s a series not based on a novel, so everyone is in the dark and the theories are all over the place.

But, yeesh, why does every one of these murder shows have to be such miserable fests? No one is happy, except maybe Evan Peters’ Zabel, who is great!

Almost everyone except Zabel and the Police Chief are on my list of suspects.

For some reason, those are my favorites. The Killing, for example. Was anyone ever happy or even content across all of the seasons? Though, having two daughters, I almost stopped in the first or second episode of that first season. It was a tad overwhelming. Now I have watched the whole series through twice.

I was hesitant on Mare of Eastown, but I am always down for some well done bleakness.

OMG, that drunk scene in this latest episode was amazing. The expression on his face when he talked about his fiancée leaving him at the altar. And Mare turning him down without saying a word. Such a great scene.

I have to suspect, given the ridiculously cliched way the end of this last episode played out, that they’ll hopefully do something to undermine the cliche. And I’m a little wary of these cheap-shot episode-ending cliffhangers honestly. I wish they’d just tell a straight story without trying to fake out the audience.

I read that the filming was interrupted by the lockdown, and the director and Peters spent a looooooong time discussing that scene.

We are also enjoying Mare of Easttown. It is kind of funny that two of the major characters are played by a Brit and an Aussie and yet they’re really nailing that blue collar Midwesterner vibe. The town itself is basically a main character in the show, from the importance of a single high school state title 25 years ago to the way everyone from that time grew up together and hardly anyone moved away, to the beer they’re drinking and the sort of quiet, resigned acceptance of everyone’s individual situations. It hits close to home for anyone who has ever lived in such a community.

I am really really enjoying 30 Coins. It’s an interesting and kind of weird mix of slightly goofy small town drama, seriously off-kilter and often freaky horror, and heavy lashings of Catholic imagery and globe-trotting conspiracy. I was kind of expecting it to be more Exorcisty, but while demons are certainly involved, and some of the conspiracy elements do actually remind me of the Fox Exorcist series (which I liked, for the record), we actually end up with very little traditional exorcism content and a lot of much freakier things.

Just got a couple episodes left and things have seriously escalated. (Plus, a couple detectives have wandered in from a detective show. I don’t think things are going to go well for them.)

I enjoyed the first episode, but things started getting a little too gross horror rather than Xfiles for my liking. In particular in the next epsidode IIRC someone was sticking a knife through their own cheek and started sawing away that really skeeved me out and I wasn’t sure I could watch anymore.

Other than that I was really enjoying it though. Does the gross horror get worse, lighten up, or does it basically stay at that level?

You were okay with the giant baby spider? If so I haven’t personally seen any realistic body horror other than the stuff you mention. (Which does get briefly referenced again later but this time it cuts away.) If not, well, that’s not the only monster, let’s put it that way.

Yeah, I was okay with that. I mean, it definitely caused a reaction, but it was within limits I could handle and was kind of fun. The other thing cutting the cheek was too much for me, although if it had happened quickly in the context of a battle, I still wouldn’t have liked it, but I probably would have handled it okay – I think it was the slow deliberate cutting that really bothered me.

Well sounds like I should give it another go. I think I literally paused midway through that scene and never went back – mostly I figured if that’s where the show was going to be going, I didn’t really want to be along for the ride.

You will still have to deal with that cheek being open for the rest of the episode. But I agree it was mainly the slow deliberate cutting that was the worst bit.

That Damned Michael Che: After the first two episodes, I’d say this one is a mixed bag. It’s a sketch comedy show, so as usual some sketches work, some don’t. Overall it’s still a thumbs up from me. As with his last standup special and his persona on SNL’s weekend edition, Michael Che himself exudes this persona of someone who is flippant and doesn’t care, so if that bothers you it will probably bother you here as well. I personally don’t mind it, I think he does care, it’s just part of his comedy persona, just like Chris Rock has his excitable comedy persona that he does in his standup. So overall a tentative positive review from me. But just like with current SNL, don’t expect any insights beyond the comedy.

SNL sends up Mare of Easttown

I went to a minor league baseball game in PA a few years ago, and they even had Yuengling’s Ice Cream. I did a double take when I walked past the kiosk.

I watched the first episode of Mare of Eastown based on the recommendations here. I really like it so far! That’s a lot of characters, but I didn’t have trouble keeping track of them. And almost the whole time we’re looking at Kate Winslet, so that’s fantastic, because she’s so fucking good.

Mare of Easttown theory.

The kidnapper and killer is Mare’s cousin, the priest. He molested Mare’s son, which is a big reason he was angry at her and yelling in that flashback about not protecting him. The deacon with a questionable history was brought in by him to provide cover. He could deflect it on the deacon if something goes bad. He is the father of DJ and Erin tried to blackmail him for money, which is why he killed her and staged it to look like a sex crime. Or Erin discovered that Katie Bailey’s kid is his daughter and tried to blackmail him for money.

Does Mare of Easttown have enough going on beyond the murder stuff to merit watching? I generally dislike crime procedurals/murder mysteries, but also The Wire is one of my all time favourite shows.

Started watching Made For Love this past week, about a Zuckerburg-like husband and his wife trying to escape him. Really well done and funny. Highly recommended.