HBO Max - Recommendations and Exclusives (as of 5/23/23: Just Max)

He did International Assassin! That is seriously amazing.

Good point! I guess I like a good surprising reversal sometimes.

For this, it wasn’t so much about structure as it was tone or mood. Death is so final, and suddenly the woman you thought was dead is actually alive.

I agree. I think I got a little let down because it came at the end of the show and it just seemed like a step back somehow, like a miraculous miracle of miracles. But then, with this follow-up episode, things changed as I mentioned above.

Also, about those girls, I got such a queazy horrible feeling during the scene where he’s locking her up for the weekly card game. That was very dark.

I finished the first seasons of That Damn Michael Che and How To with John Wilson. Michael Che’s show gets funnier with each episode I thought. How To is an acquired taste. The image that sticks with me the most is his episode on scaffolding, and him passing that building in New Orleans that had no scaffolding, which later collapsed.

How To With John Wilson is a great show. It’s amazing how he films everything and then edits conceptually.

I loved the perfect and hilarious endings he devised for two episodes… 1) the clever way he got around his problem with his cat scratching the chair and 2) the ‘Fabreeze’ and Raisin Bran sunglasses stickers.

Dude finds some real characters out in the world.

🎵 objects in the rear view mirror may appear closer than they arrrre 🎵

Also, I’ve never been to New York City (closest I’ve been is going to Liberty Island from the New Jersey side in 1994 and looking at the NYC skyline from the Statue of Liberty), but I feel like How To With John Wilson got me the closest to seeing what NYC is like.

It’s true. You get all kinds of NYC flavor for better or worse. Seems like he films everything all the time.

One thing that surprised me was when he showed his big pile of notebooks in which he writes down everything he does every single day. He and I are kindred spirits. I have a stack of about 20 of Matt Groening’s Life in Hell calendars from 1989-2009 where I did the same thing… wrote down everything I did in the little squares.

Whenever I read through them (which is practically never) I have the same mixed feelings Wilson describes… it’s kind of fun nostalgia but it’s also depressing to look back in time and see what a slave to routine I was. But it was pretty nice to go back recently and read what I wrote on the 30th anniversary of my first kiss with my wife. Our daughters thought it was the funniest thing ever. :D

I watched 2.5 episodes of the new Max Original “Hacks” yesterday. I’m really enjoying it so far. It stars Jean Smart, who plays Mare’s mom in Mare of Eastown. She plays an older stand up comedian who has been working Vegas for years, whose act has gotten a bit stale. And the other half is a young comedy writer who can’t get work anymore because she wrote a tweet about a Senator that went viral.

Good stuff so far. I enjoy the characters, and Jean Smart is fantastic and carries the show.

She’s really been getting work lately. She’s also a major character in Legion and the second season of Fargo. And she’s definitely great. We watched Hacks ep 1 and loved it.

Yeah, we’ve been watching Hacks too. Smart is great, and it’s fascinating watching two series airing at the same time with her in significant roles that are so different.

Also a big fan of Hacks and Jean Smart. She had a good interview on Fresh Air recently.

Smart was excellent in the Watchmen HBO series.

Oh that’s right, she was in that too! I guess the question is: what hasn’t she been in.

That’s because she was really satisfied
OIP

I love that it’s called Excalibur.

Mare of Easttown tonight!

On a sad note, I discovered that the blackout scene at the beginning of Episode 5 was written because the actress who played Betty Carroll, Phyllis Somerville, passed away during the filming hiatus caused by COVID.

I can’t believe there’s just one more episode of Mare of Easttown. :/

I thought the scene where Kevin Bacon’s daughter fell asleep next to the bathtub was pretty unnecessary

That was the old woman who kept calling about a peeping tom? Thanks for pointing that out. There are so many characters I get a little confused, especially when a character is referred to by a relationship or the character is off-screen. I’m like who?

So sort of tangentially related, why did Mare delete the video of the kid spray painting the shed? Did that plot point ever get resolved? I feel like I missed something, but I’ve seen all the episodes up to tonight (which I play to watch shortly).