HBO Max - Recommendations and Exclusives (as of 5/23/23: Just Max)

Watched the pilot of Doom Patrol. Seems very much in the alternative The Boys/Umbrella Academy style of superhero series. Will keep in the watch list.

Why did Warner not phase out HBO Now when HBO Max hit? It’s the same price, but you would be a massive idiot to purposely select Now over Max.

So, stupid question because I don’t feel like wading through a ton of documentation: does this new HBO Now include everything on regular HBO? We currently pay for that through Amazon, but if the new product carries everything the old product did PLUS new stuff, I may cancel the old and pick up the new.

Yes, HBO Max is everything HBO, plus Warner Bros, DC, Sesame Workshop, TCM, Studio Ghibli, Cartoon Network, Adult Swim, Crunchy Roll and Looney Tunes.

Despite Max being in the name though it doesn’t seem to include Cinemax originals, which seems kind of foolish as some of the shows were good and would get views on HBO Max but aren’t noteworthy enough to justify Cinemax subs, especially slightly older and finished shows like The Knick or Banshee.

Cinemax gave up on trying to make “respectable” dramas a few years ago. Guess the “Skinemax” branding was too hard to shake loose.

I would argue that Banshee is absolutely noteworthy enough to justify a Cinemax sub for a couple months to polish the whole run off. That and (I assume this is on their streaming) Quarry. But I doubt most people are sufficiently aware of that to bother.

That may be so but some of those shows were good, which is my point, if they were on HBO Max people would watch them, but left on Cinemax people wont.

So what is the difference between HBO NOW and HBO Max? They’re both $14.99. Are they doing away with HBO NOW? I subscribe to that, wondering if I should switch.

I mean, wouldn’t HBO NOW become obsolete now?

HBO. $14.99/month. King of prestige premium cable programming. You call your cable provider and ask that they add it to your bill.
HBO Go is your streaming app when you’re away from your cable box. It’s included in the subscription for HBO.

HBO Now. If you don’t have cable TV, you can get HBO Now, which is HBO for $14.99/month. This is for people who have cut the cord and are streaming-only.

HBO Max. For $14.99/month, you get HBO, plus everything mentioned above and more.

So, yes, you are foolish if you are paying $14.99/month for just HBO when you could get everything else for the same price.

If Warner changes the price in the future, the equation will change. Depends on how much you value that other content.

Everyone on HBO Now should immediately switch to HBO Max. Max has everything Now has plus tons of additional content for the same price. There’s really no reason at all for Now to continue to exist.

Well some people may not have a TV connected device Max capable, like if they only have a Roku.

Fair point, I always forget about those things. I’ve just got an old laptop playing media server in the living room, though truth be told I watch most streaming on my second monitor while working/playing games/posting on QT3. In short, I’m pretty sure my streaming experience is fairly atypical, and I frequently lose track of that fact.

You would think that, but I was informed I had to get HBO Now through my cable provider.

Some cable companies (Cox included, I know, because that’s what I have) have automatically upgraded your streaming sub to Max if you have HBO in your cable package.

I don’t have cable currently and still have a HBO Now sub.

Yeah, I dunno. There was no option to just subscribe to Now when I was looking at it. But it’s moot now with Max. Or I assume so, anyway.

If it’s not on a streamer it’s just not happening.

HBO flat out replaced the HBO Now app on Apple TV (the app updated and was HBO Max) so this makes me think they are going to kill off Now at some point.