HBO Max - Recommendations and Exclusives (as of 5/23/23: Just Max)

If you read that statement with the assumption that it’s because of rights going to other services, the statement still holds true. So Wholly is right, but that doesn’t mean that it is NOT on purpose, just that it still might not be.

Plus this is kind of the way Normal HBO works by the way. HBO has always gotten movies that play during a particular month for the first time on Saturdays, and then play throughout the next two or three months, and then don’t play again. When they finally introduced HBO Go, it started working the same way there, it would be introduced to the service on Saturdays when it aired on normal HBO, and then stay on the streaming service for two or three months, and then leave the service.

Of course, the whole Saturday bit was just the big blockbuster movies. The rest of the movies would just work the same way but be introduced throughout the month.

Stusser is right though. If they make it expensive, make it a hassle, try the Disney vault thing… people will just pirate it. I mean I buy digital copies of movies many times of year in addition to go to the theater. This makes me a paying customer. The people that pirate it… they not only get it long before I do, they have a ton of content… but most them pay for Netflix. Now you could ask yourself why and say hey maybe they want the original series but that’s not really it. It’s just easier to binge watch like a decade of Friends on Netflix, night after night than it is to just download stuff you’ll be unlikely to watch again…

Easier, faster and affordable. If anyone is going to screw it up, I guess it would be HBO.

Just got notified that I am now getting HBOMax for free through my AT&T mobile unlimited plan. Woo. I was able to activate it through AT&T and link to my existing HBOMax account.

Same boat! We had already signed up for a month, then realized we got it through AT&T fiber. Works for me!

Still can’t get the damned network to recognize my NVidia remote for volume control /grrrr.

Come on HBO and Roku, work out your shit and let’s go already.

Did anyone recommend the excellent animated comedy Home Movies yet? It’s a real throwback (it aired starting in 1999), but if you like stand-up comedy and H Jon Benjamin, this show is for you.

There are whole scenes that are just Paula Poundstone doing a stand-up bit.

I also just learned that most of the show is improvised, including the entirety of the pilot!

She’s only in the first five episodes as I recall and was replaced by Janine Ditullio.

Anyone else getting way too much email from HBO Max? I swear I get something every day, reminding me about how easy to use it is, how many great shows there are, etc.

You got my money, HBO Max, now leave me alone!

I love Home Movies, but Paula Poundstone was a huge part of that. I still liked the show in subsequent seasons, but never loved it like I did the first season.

I haven’t read the whole thread and maybe even already posted this, but if you go Movies and click the A-Z tab, there’s a lot of geek gold in there. The six Lone Wolf and Cub movies, what looks to the untrained eye like a bunch if not all of the obscure Kaiju movies, etc.

I also tried out DC Universe for the first time and holy shit, they have the early 80s two-parter of the Justice League. Soooooooooooooo bad.

So anybody watch the mini series ‘The plot against America’? Worth checking out or a pass.

There’s a small thread on it:

I think @Oghier summed up my feelings as well when he wrote:

This is well crafted, but it’s six episodes of unrelenting misery. If there is a season two, I don’t think I will watch it.

Is it safe to say that if I didn’t like the first episode of Harley Quinn at all, the show isn’t for me?

Maybe. I feel like if you like Venture Bros and those type of shows you’ll like this, if not you wont.

Hah, well despite recommendations from a couple friends, I’ve still never gotten around to trying Venture Bros.

Space Ghost Coast To Coast is on there. Win!

I remember really loving both Space Lab 2021 (I think that’s what it was called?) and Venture Bros at first. What great concepts! And then in both cases, the shows just kept going. With Venture Bros, I think I lasted into halfway into Season 2 (or possibly Season 3? It was a long time ago) before finally deciding the show didn’t really have any good ideas beyond it’s opening premise, and finally giving up on it. Man, I really loved it in the beginning though.

Harry Goz, the voice actor for Sealab 2021 died part way through the run. The show never recovered. It was great until then, though.

Venture Bros is overflowing with good ideas, and is one of the best animated shows there is IMO. I anxiously await the new season.