HBO's Watchmen - The Spoiler Thread

I’m itching to now re-read it since things like Robert Redford as President was supposedly a throwaway line in the comic that Damon and team decided to follow up on, but I didn’t get the feeling that Louis Gossett Jr was Hooded Justice. Just that he’s the kid from 1921 and how the movie he was watching maps/mirrors to 2019 (Don Johnson as corrupt lawman).

Shit, I thought he had died.

I thought that too! Felt bad I did.

It’s interesting to say the least, and I’ll be sticking on board. Loved the look and feel of it.

— Alan

Thanks for the link! Very interesting “documents”.

So I think we’re all agreed that Don Johnson = Night Owl?

— Alan

The below document outlines that Night Owl is still in jail:

The kid being Hooded Justice fits his age, though if the guy in the weelchair is the kid then he would have to be 105+ years old.

Also, did I miss Don Johnson being corrupt?

Is there another more direct link? When I go there I end up at the front page of hbonordic.com.

During the family dinner, he sneaks off to the kitchen to snort some cocaine. That’s the only thing I saw.

The preview that played afterwards has the character stating his age.

That is me theorizing – there isn’t a smoking gun for his corruption in the first episode, but it just seemed like a thematic bookend for the episode and setup for Louis Gossett Jr to tell Regina King that Don Johnson wasn’t a great dude.

No preview on HBO Nordic, so what was his age?

“You’re 90 fucking years old, how the fuck did you hang him?”
“I’m 105 years old and you curse too much.”

Well, that didn’t answer many questions. After all, it was still only Episode #2.

I’m wondering if Veidt is in some kind of weird prison that Doctor Manhattan constructed for him. Sort of like some bizzaro purgatory that’s not quite fully-realized (tomatoes growing from trees, copies of the same two servants). Someone noted that the building that’s briefly seen in the satellite photo of Mars (when Dr. Manhattan destroys a building) is the same as the castle that Veidt lives at.

I did want to slap Louis Gossett Jr’s character just as badly as Angela wanted to: Just say what you mean already!

So Jed was running some kind of weird long con?

The German letter in the TV show was real.

http://historymatters.gmu.edu/d/6655/

He actually could be Dr. Manhattan.

I love the soundtrack to this.

Agreed.

Really, the whole production design. Everything from the costumes, to the background paper headlines and posters, just feels so well thought out. Really adds to the sense of place.

You know it’s Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross, right?

The one thing that’s kind of bending me up a bit is that everyone is fine with the Chief of Police doing cocaine. No one even seems to care other than a thin request to not do it in front of kids.

Is it legal in this post-Watchmen world?

Considering Robert Redford has been president for 30 years and pushed things through like reparations, it doesn’t seem too weird to think that lots of drugs were legalized.