" 'Heart Attack Grill' Greeter Dies After Heart Attack"

Source: NPR.org

" ‘Heart Attack Grill’ Greeter Dies After Heart Attack"

Two customers’ collapses last year didn’t seem to faze fans of Las Vegas’ Heart Attack Grill.

Now there’s word from the Las Vegas Sun that John Alleman, an unpaid and unofficial spokesman for the restaurant who stood outside its doors every day to greet customers, has died after suffering a heart attack last week.

Alleman, 52, was at a bus stop outside the restaurant when he was stricken.

Grill owner Jon Basso tells the Sun that Alleman’s death isn’t going to mean the demise of “Flatliner Fries” or what the restaurant says is the world’s “most calorific burger.” We’re talking 10,000 calories.

“The grill is where you can be yourself. We accept people as they are,” Basso says in the Sun’s report. “(Alleman’s death) isn’t going to stop us from what we’re doing. People have got to live their lives.”

On its Facebook page, the restaurant writes that “John was such a part of the HAG family. It’s hard to look at our menu today without getting teary eyed.”

Alleman, by the way, reportedly weighed about 180 pounds. An earlier unofficial spokesman for the restaurant, Blair “Gentle Giant” River, died in March 2011 of pneumonia. He weighed about 575 pounds.

This is not a repeat, though it may seem like one:

So he’s a crazy bastard that hung out in front of a restaurant saying hello to tourists for free? And he wasn’t out of shape?

Shrug, not a great story.

“People have got to live their lives.”

Until they die, that is.

They need to get their employee attrition rate down.

Perhaps that hamburger would be healthier if it was made with cheese instead of yellow plastic sheets.

I never quite understood the love for hamburgers. I mean, they’re good, sure. But nowhere near pizza level good. Or steak. Or burritos. mmm, burritos…

On Day 1 you eat pizza. Day 2, steak. Day 3, burritos. What do you eat for Day 4?

I don’t think there are many people who think Hamburgers are the perfect food, fit for every lunch and dinner. They probably like your favorite foods too.

I think that once something gets popular enough, it gets fetishized by some percentage of the population and turned gourmet, culinary, or just embiggened. Look at the popularity of coffee and the million ways to serve that now. With more than half of the population doing service work, there’s room for off-the-wall stuff in our society. Hell it even seems normal now. What jobs are we going to do when robots take over? Shit like this.

Wow, that got rambly fast. I apologize in advance for missing the point. :)

That burger is so toxic you have to eat it with gloves on.

So it does what it says on the tin, right?

Man I disagree. Well, not entirely, but I think a good cheeseburger is as good as gets comfort food wise. Now, if someone else is footing the bill, make no mistake we are going to the best steak place within an hour’s drive. But a cheeseburger, for me, especially at its price point, is hard to top.

Hamburgers are in my meal rotation because they’re dead easy to make. 10 minutes from start to finish, which is unusually fast for what I cook, and with enough condiments they’re pretty tasty. Not pizza level, but pizza is a two hour process, at least in part because of the rise time of the dough, but the baking and ingredient chopping is time consuming as well.

They sure come close though.