Hearthstone - Blizzard's F2P Digital Card Game

This was just revealed at PAX East. Free to play, online CCG.

Catch the stream here: http://www.twitch.tv/pax/

Oh? Dammit - I’m interested already… Thanks for the info!

300 cards in the initial release. Boosters will be sold for about $1 each which will give you 5 cards.

Some kind of “card crafting” mechanic will be in the game.

Wow, this seems…kind of over produced. Lots of sparkles and swooshy noises all over the place that seem like they’d get annoying over time. I guess Blizzard knows how to polish this sort of thing though.

Looks ok I guess. SOE has had Legends of Norrath and the SWG version for ages now, so not exactly a revolutionary idea. But it’s Blizzard so it’ll be polished as hell.

The deck building assist looks pretty neat, actually.

Here’s the beta signup site: http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/

I’ll sign up for this. Blizzard produces quality stuff, and I imagine this will be a neat little game to check out, even in beta. Plus, I like card games and am eager to see one that grabs me as much as MtG does/did.

I find it strange that it looks like it will be a standalone game. Shouldn’t this be flash based like a Facebook game but using the battle.net website.

Why would they limit the market like that, and not get it out on iOS? I don’t understand your question, I guess.

It could still have a iOS version of the app. Just by building the game with flash or better html5 they would get more casual people to try out the game without bothering with installing / updating.

I’ll try it out, why not? Looks simplistic, but in CCGs looks can be deceiving. We’ll see what the deckbuilding and gameplay is like.

Yep. This is just Blizzard experimenting with smaller games. I’m sure it’ll be fine, if you enjoy this sort of thing.

I’m very surprised they haven’t linked cosmetic prizes in their other games to special cards. I know they already do this with a physical licensed CCG. Maybe that contract disallows it.

I always wondered why they didn’t have a CCG playable inside WoW, so you have something else to do while puttering around Orgrimmar, rare cards to go questing/grinding for, yada yada. Wonder if that sort of integration might be in the cards (ahem).

Anyway this looks fun.

They actually added pokemon instead.

Do you get cards by playing over time? You must right, if it’s free-to-play?

Who says they won’t? This was just a first look.

It sounds League of Legends-y. You can earn cards over time, and you can destroy / craft cards to get the ones you want, or you can pay to get booster packs. I assume that even with the crafting, you’re going to need to pay to get the cards you want in a reasonable time-frame, and they’ll keep adding more cards over time of course…

Not sure how I feel about this…it LOOKS interesting and fun, but it seems like I lose interest in CCGs fairly quickly. Although, if they did something similar for Starcraft, I would be forking that repo.

-Gil102

I’m quite interested in this. I like the MTG style of play, but can’t really bring my kids into it because of the stupid high cost. A similar (even if ‘not as deep’) style of play, with no entry cost and very reasonable buy-in cost? Finally! As I like WoW/Blizzard art, that makes it even better.