Hearthstone - Blizzard's F2P Digital Card Game

Lol, just noticed the extreme redundancy of my post after prolix’s.

Zoo is still very viable and cheap. I played around with one the other night, it was fun. If I get a chance I will post mine but in the meantime here is someone elses. I am not really a fan of Sea Giant so i would sub those out for defender of argus but this is decent and cheap.

Darkshire Councilman is so amazing if drawn early. The fact that he triggers on all summons is nuts. I’ve been playing a sort-of warlock zoo hybrid that I almost feel guilty about. Implosion is nutty with it. Seeing that zoo link, it gives me some ideas of items to swap out.

So yeah, I guess zoo decks are pretty valid still. If they run out of momentum, they are in trouble, but that are pretty good.

Wishing there were more counters to the early swarms. Cards that deal with them don’t start landing until 5+, at which point you can be too far behind to recover.

Oh wow, that looks like a fun deck to play. I really want to update my silly Demon wombo-combo for Standard, but I think it may have lost too much in Eggs and I think Mal’Ganis.

Apparently, Steward of Darkshire does not stack with Sword of Justice. I’d consider that a bug, myself. (A silver hand recruit gets considered a 2/2 at the time they’re summoned rather than a 1/1, so they don’t get Divine Shield. It’s possible the order you play the steward vs the sword matters)

Even given that, I did get to “living the dream” with Steward + stand against darkness + rallying blade = 5 2/2 silver hand recruits with Divine Shield, so I guess I can retire that deck now.

Zoo is a problem because board clears are more difficult now. Priest lost Lightbomb, Warrior lost Death’s Bite, everyone (especially Mage) lost Explosive Sheep, and Blade Flurry was nerfed. If you get behind on board now, it gets ugly fast, and even if you can clear it, Warlock just fills it back up on the next turn.

In one game I cleared the board, and my opponent followed with Knife Juggler + Darkshire Councilman + Forbidden Ritual. That sucked.

I’m not sure what they were thinking giving Darkshire Councilman 5 health. It’s a big enough body that you can drop it on turn 3 before your opponent can really have any answers. If you drop it with Forbidden Ritual, even if you have a board clear it isn’t going to take care of the Councilman.

Wait, wait. I have played barely any Whispers, but the Forbidden stuff - don’t you have to actually have the mana to spend, aka a M:TG Fireball? Or can you drop a Councilman and then Forbidden Ritual on turn 3 for three extra dudes and a 4/5?

You need mana to spend, but still, you could drop the Councilman on turn 3 and a lot of the time there’s no way to kill it. Then turn 4 drop Forbidden Ritual and you have a 5/5 on the board and 4 tentacles. Not too shabby. Or play it later in the game and get his attack way up. 5 health is just generally tough to deal with for such a low costing card.

It might depend on play order. A lot of stuff in Hearthstone does.

For example, if you play steward THEN sword of justice (Not buffing the steward), her ability may fire first when a minion is played since she was in play first, then the +1/+1 applies. Deathrattles also trigger on a first played first activated basis, which is important to know when multiple Sylvanases are on the board.

I caved and bought the LoE adventure last night to get the 46 cards that come with it. To my surprise, it’s fun to play. I like the “escape” mission mechanics that they throw in to give a little variety to the game play. So far I really haven’t needed to construct a deck specifically for any of the missions. My standard priest deck with a few of the new C’Thun cards throw in has been able to take each of the new wings on first try. I doubt that would work in heroic mode, but not too worried about that.

It was the warlock and discovery cards that convinced me to make the purchase. Dark Peddler, Jeweled Scarab and (to a lesser degree) Tomb Spider are just such amazing zoo cards (even more amazing if you manage to have a Bran out) that I couldn’t resist any longer. Stupid weak will. Combined with the retiring of a lot of the board clear (as mentioned by prolix), it’s going to take a bit for the meta to learn to deal with it.

Makes sense, thanks.

Unwrapped a Mukla, Tyrant of the Vale, so I’m trying an aggro-y druid beast deck. It seems almost viable, but not quite.

It’s hard because I’ve decided no treants, so no ancients or ironwood, which means I think it needs to skew aggro, but I think it’s not quite there. It’s been fun in casual though.

Just crafted Yogg Saron and made a warrior Yogg deck. So much fun! I’ve only played it in casual but been going on a tear with it. Tempted to carry it over to ranked and see what happens…

I like me some RNG but Yogg Saron seems like a little much. What percentage of the time does it actually favor you?

Yogg Saron is much more fun than it is good. He’s better when you play him on a full board. Playing him on an empty board, he is almost always going to kill himself, and has a significant chance of doing lots of damage to you as well. He will also usually end up drawing a bunch of cards, which can sometimes be good, but I’ve also been milled to death by Yogg in my Miracle Rogue deck. I think he is probably most useful in a deck that plays a lot of cards without a lot of refill opportunity in those cases where you stall out before dealing enough damage. He’s a good Hail Mary for when you use up all your resources and need something to draw you a few cards, or clear the enemy’s board, or do a bit of damage to finish off your opponent. But he is also totally unreliable. Always fun and exciting, though.

The modified warlock zoo deck has been on a heck of a run the last couple of nights. I’m routinely running people over on turns 6 and 7. A warrior armor deck has been my bane. Other than that, smooth sailing. Not sure how I feel about playing a deck that I have always hated playing against, but meh, it’s fun.

What percentage of the time does it actually favor you?

In casual it was doing wonders. In ranked, it suddenly isn’t so hot. The RNG giveth…

My meat-n-potatoes is C’thun warrior at the moment, but that’s hitting a bit of a ceiling I feel.

This week’s Brawl is terrible. Pick two cards, get a deck full of just those two. My first opponent had Mechwarper and Demolisher. On turn 3 he had 3 of each out. Second opponent was a mage with Ice Block, playing one every turn so I could never win. Hit me for one each turn. Presumably the second card was some kind of additional damage or draw, but I didn’t stick around long enough to find out. Got my one win on the third try against a rogue with Lorewalker Cho and Shadowstep, which made no sense to me. Fill my hand and mill, maybe? Anyway, glad that’s over.

Tunnel Trogg + Lightning is entertaining in this week’s brawl.

Then I got rare + epic + legendary (Gruul) from the free pack. Which was nice.