Hearthstone - Blizzard's F2P Digital Card Game

So I’ve been playing this a lot lately, on my phone almost exclusively. I’m not spending real money on it. I bought all of Kharazan with gold, and when I get gold I buy packs. However, I don’t really have any good cards. I have a Shaman deck that’s built around pumping out 2+ health weenies and bloodlusting to win, and a Mage deck that seems to be classic control. Neither of those is getting me past rank 18 or so.

Do you guys spend money on cards? Is it pretty much required to drop $50 per expansion to play ranked?

First expansion I am going to miss. Finally burnt out on it so I am taking a break/quitting. Good luck folks its a great game.

Is it required? Well, it depends on how valuable your time is to you. Several experienced HS streamers have done new f2p acct-> legend in a few week’s time, but hearthstone is their full-time job, so I don’t really consider that a fair comparison to normal players.

Now, Blizzard has also done well in eliminating several of the more popular (and powerful) free-to-play decks through the years by nerfing (and rotating) certain key classic and basic cards, and also by introducing new cards that are effectively “hate” cards towards certain builds (like Face Hunter, which was a notoriously inexpensive and brutal deck to craft back in the day). And they’ve bent over backwards to remove powerful neutral legendaries (and other key cards) that used to work in a huge number of diverse decks. They’re trying to do away with the Rag/Dr Boom/Sylvanas’ of the world, by making so f2p players have to craft a much larger number of class legendaries (of which most only work in one specific type of deck anyway (hello legendary quests, and upcoming Death Knight cards), further eliminating their utility) in order to have a variety of viable decks to play.

So, I guess if you’re trying to decide if the money is worth spending, it really just depends on how much time you want to put in the game. I mean, 30 wins a day gets you 100 gold (enough for a pack a day), and that’s on top of daily quests. But 30 wins also takes all freaking day to pull off.

As for me, I pay cash for every adventure, and I pre-order every new expansion when they’re made available. I spent my first year as a strictly free-to-play player, but I am in no way competitive, and simply want to have a lot of fun with a huge variety of cards, and spending what amounts to 12 dollars a month (50x3 expansions a year, used to be less expensive before they eliminated adventures) for instant gratification is certainly worth it to me.

Here’s the thing though, simply pre-ordering the expansion will in no way give you all the cards you want. You still gotta grind if you want all the best epics and legendaries. Epics are the biggest problem here. I typically get every common and rare through the pre-order packs (well, maybe 98% of them), a handful of epics, and typically 3-4 legendaries. But unfortunately (for me, the non-competitive wacky fun-seeking type), the latest expansions are designed in a way where all the funnest and most interesting cards are locked behind Epic rarities.

I used to but I don’t anymore. Now I just mostly just play arena, which is a good way to build up a collection for cheap/free if you’re decent at the game. It takes longer to get the cards that way, though.

I generally do spend the $50 just because I feel I play the game enough to warrant the expenditure. Once you’ve become somewhat competent at the basics you can build your collection via arena for free. You might want to use an arena draft assistant app at first or look at arena tier lists of cards, keeping in mind that it’s very important in arena to “curve out”. You need enough low cost drops to not get overrun.

As for climbing rank without spending, it can still be done I feel but you’re not going to have much of a variety of decks to choose from and you’re probably not getting to legend with them. You should be able to hit the rank 10 or 5 breakpoints though with a zoo warlock deck or aggro hunter. Those decks still work and don’t require legendary cards, though to hit legend with an aggro deck probably does require cards like Patches for normal people.

Pack changes are live (In US anyway, dunno about other regions).

No more duplicate legendaries.

Some details about the patch (it’s server side, you shouldn’t need to update your client):

You can also buy Wild expansions and adventures at the Blizzard store website now too (cash only, no gold).

Huge, awesome change. Every once in a while I remember that time I got a second Hemet Nesingwary and it makes me die a little on the inside.

I’m taking recommendations for my next crafted legendary. The candidates:

Aya Blackpaw: Undeniably strong, but goddamn I hate those stupid druid decks with a passion. Have been avoiding this on principle, although I think it would be fun in a rogue or shaman deck. Cycling out next year.

White Eyes: I love playing control shaman, but class-only cards make me wary. Also cycling out next year.

Sunkeeper Tarim: Class-only, but crucial in mid-range/conrol paladin. Luckily you can get this pretty often from Stonehill Defender.

Warrior quest: Class-only, but I miss playing control warrior. These games take forever though.

Or, I guess I could just save my dust for the expansion. That’s probably the smarter move. Some of the new cards are bonkers.

I really would wait for the expansion. Although they haven’t announced an official release date yet, some speculate it will release in as little as a week. Regardless, it’s coming imminently, so there’s no point in crafting something that might have a hard counter created and released so soon. As soon as the expansion releases, and the meta settles a bit, then you’ll know which legendary (new or old) has a longer viable life ahead of it.

Of those legendaries, Aya is particularly fun because of the various combos I can pull off with it in jade rogue (which in itself isn’t the most competitive class this second, but the combos are fun). And Tarim is just an outright beast of a card. I never seem to draw the second White Eyes taunt, so while it has potential, the game tends to end before I see it fully reached. And the Warrior quest is among the most boring cards I’ve ever played with or against, but it’s decks are both super effective and competitive right now.

Is White Eyes in the meta now? I don’t really play constructed anymore but I opened one a while back pre-Ungoro but there didn’t seem to be any good decks playing it. I guess Volcano made control shaman viable?

Just skimmed the Frozen Throne cards, and man, some of them seem pretty game breaking. This will be an interesting release.

Lorewalker Cho! He’s gonna have his moment, I can feel it!

No more waiting! August 10.

So, Frozen Throne released, and includes the Death Knight cards which are, basically, win conditions in and of themselves. To my great relief, my free death Knight from the prologue was the Paladin one. In addition, if you do get the Lich King (via, say, a Stonehill), he’s pretty close to a win condition as well.

So, the expansion very neatly filled out that deck.

I’ve filled out the bottom half of the deck with murlocs to go with the Hydrologist, and those little lifesteal murlocs are surprisingly good in that context. I originally included one to help give Corpsetaker lifesteal, but they wear buffs so well, I run two now.

I haven’t seen any Death Knight other than Jaina though. I assume people just haven’t started experimenting with ones that fall outside established deck archetypes.

I got the Thrall and Garrosh death knights. If you drop Thrall while you have minion advantage it’s pretty much a win. Garrosh I’m less thrilled with, but my warrior cards suck so I can’t really make a playable warrior deck.

So they just released this short at Gamecom… Wow. their animation is getting stronger and stronger.
They will be launching more shorts, around a new female girl character Ava.

I got Frost Lich Jaina from a pack and made a deck with her. Please tear it apart. I won 3 games tonight against other Jainas that were playing a deck with lots of secrets and cards that synergise with secrets. Those games just dragged on until I got the death knight down then they ended pretty quick.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/917742-elemental-mage

Do you own Pyros? Being an elemental, and given that its death rattle keeps returning it to hand, it’s pretty darn handy in long games–which most Jaina games tend to turn in to.

I’ve also found Tol’Vir to be a huge synergy-show-stopper given his lack of forward synergy for the next Elemental. Since it’s bad to play him on curve, because ideally you’ll want to play Servant of Kalimos the next turn (on turn 5), he can make for some annoying decisions. If you want taunts I might suggest Mirror Image since it won’t get in the way of your elemental synergy too much, and since you aren’t using Lava Potion they won’t be needless sacrifices.

I’m also not sold on Frozen Crusher. Even though it’s an elemental, you don’t have a silence or a way to turn him into a taunt, so he’ll be a disabled minion half the time. For that much mana you might as well use a Blazecaller, as the Battlecry (a 5 Damage nuke) will heal you in Jaina form, as will his standard attacks. But I haven’t tried him much.

Syndragosa synergizes well because you can ping her summoned minions (for a water elemental on board and a random legendary in hand), but I wouldn’t go out of my way to craft her.

And your Polymorph spell will always synergize perfectly with Lich Jaina, a solid inclusion.

Thanks! I just won 2 more games with it and got rank 18, which is the highest I’ve ever been. I also, for some reason, got 2000 dust. So I can craft Pyros now, or Sindragosa. I kinda want to craft Lich King just because he’s awesome though. I’ll need to think about it!

I have some other elementals I can swap for Frozen Crusher, like Stormwatcher or Frost Elemental.

Lich King is by FAR a higher priority than Pyros or Sindragosa, because it’s used in many more decks (no Lich Jaina Decks though, at least as far as I know), across all classes. Pyros and Syndragosa are low on the priority list unless you’re becoming a Mage main or something.

Huh this is why I randomly got 2000 dust

Greetings,
Patch 8.4 for Hearthstone introduced new infrastructure to prepare for the recently announced improvements to card drop rates. As a side effect of this change, a small number of players who opened packs after the patch launched received one fewer Legendary or Epic card than they would have otherwise. We have identified you as one of those players, and we’ve given you 2000 Arcane Dust to use however you want!