Hearts of Iron 3

On which note I would like to thank you for your time and end by reminding you: it is your patriotic duty to ignore this image!

Hello Stanley Baldwin, I am the United States of America, and I have a BURNING NEED for all your transports. You see, this is because as one of the world’s major powers I have no need to build new ships!

Certainly not transports

Now I know what you’re saying, “11 transports, well that must certainly be enough!” And you would most certainly be wrong!

So what AM I building you ask? Well… I, of course, need about 100 IC worth of new industrial capacity

And I also obviously need another 100 IC worth of coastal forts

Of course, I assume you noticed that the pile of dudes in Washington contained only infanty, so let just throw another 300 IC worth of light tanks in there as well

Now I know, light tanks seem like kind of a weird thing to produce in mass like that, so why them over medium tanks, or perhaps mechanized infantry? Well you’re going to look like quite the fool when you realize its because in addition to not being able to research radar, I also can’t research light tank guns, or any cavalry tech, so obviously I can’t build medium tanks or mechanized infantry.

Actually on second thought you can keep the transports England. Despite, having largest army on earth I probably wouldn’t do very well in combat, seeing as how I’ve never researched a single theory tech anyways.

Again, this game was started and played entirely in a 1.2 patched game with no mods. The difficulty level was normal, I was playing the Soviet Union and I did not touch either the US or UK at all. This is not an isolated incident, I “restarted” 2 games due to this exact same problem before coming to this one.

Sorry it took that many posts =P

Of course, the entire thing was already on Lum’s blog as per his post. :)

Mehrunes, I can access a general HOI3 subforum just fine, and I don’t think my copy of the game is registered. I’m guessing it’s just the tech support stuff that requires you to register, right?

-Tom

The HoI3 subforum has 5 child forums (tech support, bug reports, mods etc.) that you need to register to see. I think it’s the same for the rest of there game forums as well.

Somebody page me when this game is playable. There are things about it that intrigue me, but it sounds like it would drive me mad in its current form.

Same here.

Man, you and me both. B:RB, Tropico 3, and others… there’s far better stuff out there.

Add me to the page me when it works list. I am willing to give Paradox, more money even though, I was frustrated with EU, HOI, HO2, and probably one other game I am forgetting. So even though I am retired, my time is still more valuable than dealing with Alpha level game.

I have never noticed the threads actually being deleted. I have seen them get locked and then they scroll back on the board. This particular thread was moved and locked too. It is on page 2 in the bugreports forum.

Just buy HoI2 and forget this sequel exists. HoI2 is a great game.

Maybe we’ll even convince Paradox to backport the few good features and have a great game while they unfuck the sequel in the next six years.

Unfortunately, my thoughts from back in early June appear to have come true.

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showpost.php?p=1764088&postcount=2

This game released in the condition that many of us feared.

That account of AI brilliance really is impressive. It doesn’t seem like this is the kind of thing that you can just tweak a little to fix; it seems like it demands a complete rewrite.

I mean, how can you not have thought at least a little about writing a tech development plan? It seems easy enough; you just manually develop maybe 4 paths through the entire tech development sequence, and assign those paths to countries based on their historical inclinations. Then all they have to do in real-time is manage their leadership point allocation, which is not exactly rocket science.

But no, I guess they have developed some kind of complex stateful planning system that unfortunately has the minor fault of not actually working at all.

Also, no one minds some generic attention to obscure minor countries. Who really cares if the alternate security minister in Bolivia is just some made up random choice from a list of Spanish names and old photos, or if their presidential guard unit is just called “Garrison 1” instead of whatever the real name was. But screwing up the properties of British ministers in a WW II game seems a bit odd, as does confusing convoys and transports or whatever the hell went wrong in their production queue.

I don’t have much QA experience; in my development career I mostly created bugs for QA to find, rather than discovering them myself. But even so I guess if it was up to me to write some kind of acceptance test, I would have had the AI play a few dozen games and every few months would have tracked the progress and state of the majors, just for fun, to see if something sane was actually happening.

Well, in fairness Miramon you don’t know what the trigger condition is for England getting in this bad state. It could be something fairly tricky to reproduce. When you go from 1000s of hours of testing pre-release to 10,000,000 hours of testing in the first monht of a game you explore a vastly larger amount of possible state space.

Personally, I’d rather have Paradox make and release buggy games, then support them, then just get out of the business altogether (which is where 99.99% of the rest of the market is). Maybe that just makes me an abused spouse, I dunno. But I’m very happy with the $$ I spent on HOI3, and have every expectation it will continue to get better. Sure, it would be great if they had fewer bugs but the QA issues on a game of HOI3’s scope and complexity give me nightmares to even think about doing even with a team twice the size.

Oh, I’ve played HOI2 for many years, mainly using CORE.

No updates to this thread for almost 2 weeks now. Any progress on making the game playable? I do want to buy it, but not in its present state.

I believe the next patch is expected in November.

I think modders have made some progress fixing the economic and diplomatic AI, but they are somewhat stymied by bugs in the executable. People have found settings that make the weather not so much of a disaster. I think it’s playable if you use the mods, but still lots of bugs.

Technically, the next patch is supposed to be before November.

More waiting for me, then. Thanks guys.

So while I’m waiting for the next patch to really jump into HoI3, would it be worth learning the basic system on HoI2 or are they too different for that to work?