Hearts of Iron 4 announced

HOI V? Maybe Civ VII?

Dan Lind spoke about HOI5 on the single malt strategy podcast a few months ago. Basically he said it would probably happen eventually and he had some big picture ideas of things it could do. But it is not a project under any development at the moment.

There’s a (slim but not insignificant) chance it’s a China Warring States game, given how TW3K has pretty much shattered sale records for that franchise.

I’m still waiting for a Bronze Age GSG. It’s such an interesting (and open) period.

The only teaser we’ve had for the new game so far was on a tweet. It had the game’s Producer standing in front of a suit of armour holding a sword that looked like it was as tall as she was.

Some people are thinking CK3 (it was the first of the ‘new’ generation, so it’d be first in line for a sequel), but could be some kind of fantasy medieval spin-off.

I would love to see them tackle the Victorian era again but whatever it is I’m sure it’ll be good.

Their announcement buried the lede!

I know an espionage system has been long requested, but I am most excited about a redesign of the Spanish Civil War and focus trees for nationalist/republican spain.

According to the first sentence of that article, Hearts of Iron IV is published by Parardox Interactive. You know your content creation quotas are rough when you can’t make it through a single sentence without an error.

I have never played a game where espionage was fun or added anything to the game besides RNG and a way to mitigate that RNG somewhat. One day, a game company will do an incredible espionage system in a Grand Strategy or 4X game, but I’m not going to hold my breath. I will happily acknowledge their genius if they are the ones that crack the riddle wrapped in an enigma that is a entertaining and functional espionage system.

I only just got around to reading the dev diaries for Nationalist and Republican Spain here:

and wow, they sound amazing. It sounds like it will make for a much more interesting and replayable Spanish Civil War. The alt-history is awesome too, an anarchist world conquest game is going to be quite a challenge!

I’m a bit skeptical also, but it looks like espionage is going to be quite deep.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hoi4-dev-diary-the-intelligence-agency.1270326/

This is the part that I really liked.

That is spot-on and has been a complaint I’ve had with basically every espionage system to date. That’s not to say HOI4 won’t end up suffering from the same problem, but at least they see the issue and are designing around it.

Well, I’m cautiously optimistic. Sounds like they have put some real thought into it at least, but as KevinC said, understanding why past espionage systems have failed doesn’t necessarily guarantee success. Still it’s comforting to know they are taking a considered approach.

More info on Operatives.

That’s good. The defense against espionage is usually one of the things I find most exhausting about these systems.

Looks good! I guess we don’t have a release date for “La Resistance” yet?

Nothing announced yet!

No release date, but we have Collaboration, Compliance and Coups.

Interesting. Sounds like you’ll really benefit from laying some groundwork before taking over a country.

New Diary is up. https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hoi4-dev-diary-intel.1295585/

Intelligence is shaping up nicely. I’m going to register a weird complaint, and I wonder if anyone else agrees with me. As it I spend to much time on pause, examining all the information the game gives me. I thing the intelligence system is going to make that problem worse.

Hmmm, maybe! I think I might look at what doctrine path they’ve chosen and of course the intelligence on the map itself will be useful. For the rest, I’m not sure offhand how much time I’ll spend looking it in most games.

What info do you think you’ll be spending your time poring over?

Stockpile probably, and the number of divisions. Plus the info on the map, it is also possible that it might not make any difference.

Intelligence looks good, but I really want to get my hands on this expansion asap for the improvements to the Spanish Civil War and the spanish focus trees… please release it!