Hearts of Iron 4 announced

You’re not the only one, but Dan commented that it’s mostly passive stuff that accumulates over time.
I personally don’t care, as long as it adds depth, I could spend more time playing the war.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hoi4-dev-diary-portugal.1298073/

I must say I can’t criticism the team for a lack of different countries to play. Although I didn’t realize their was big demand to play Portugal. They practically corner the market on Tungsten so by 42/43 or so I bet they can easily be exporting 25 or more civilian factories worth of tungsten.

Join the resistence February 25th.

I’ll be joining it. I think my first five runs will all be Spain!

I’ll give Spain a play thru also.

Yeah not that fussed about the espionage stuff, but inject that SCW focus tree straight into my veins.

The SCW has the advantage that it’s early enough to redo again and again with different choices, although the pre-war decisions might feel repetitive after a while. They seemed interesting enough in the latest stream.
It’s a good thing I was reminded the game had an “auto” for designing ships, because that’s a bit much and I need to play a lot more of this. Still, are there any recommended guides for importance of ship components?

I wish they would do an expansion that focuses primarily on the post-WWII world.

But that would get in the way of the cold war gsg game they’re going to announce any day now.

That’s my false hope anyway.

I’m still sad about East vs West.

You could always go buy an ancient copy of Superpower, which I’m ever so slightly ashamed to say I worked on.

They’d need a lot more diplomacy for that work since it would basically be 60 years of “nothing happens, then one nation maybe fights a side war and you can send them some help, but not too much or we all die in nuclear fire”.

You got twilight struggle for Cold War stuff. There is a mod called road to 56, this is long enough imho.

I think my first play will be an anarchist world conquest. I’ve never actually tried a world conquest, so it seems like a great excuse.

Does HoI4 have a similar production model that HoI2 had? I remember really liking that, and how there was efficiency gained the longer you had a production line up, and if you started producing something else that was a trade off because you’d lose that bonus.

HOI4 has the best production system ever created in a strategy game. :) Yes, you gain efficiency when producing something over time, although it’s a different system than HOI2. It can be a big decision knowing when to switch production from your tried and true tank model to the new shiny one your eggheads and engineers have recently developed.

Sounds good! Add this to my Paradox games I’ve owned for a while and need to play 😀

The biggest thing is that HoI4 models building equipment (tanks, infantry kit, trucks, etc) rather than building divisions. That makes it a lot more natural to model things like tech upgrades, combat and attrition losses, reserves, large and small divisions and so on.

I still have no earthly idea what I’m supposed to be doing with my navy in this game since the re-work. Is there some kind of video or guide anyone could recommend?

I’ve been trying to play a Japan game over the weekend and had that exact problem on what all these task forces and fleets meant. Its actually not that complicated - quill18 explains it in about 2 minutes at the start of this vid.