Hearts of Iron 4 announced

Has anyone tried the latest DLC?

I haven’t played HOI4 in a while, but this while sounds intriguing to me in a way that espionage and the like didn’t. Along with Focus trees for the Scandinavian countries (I’m sure Sweden is OP as is tradition!), it comes with:

Just curious if anyone was still playing and had any thoughts on the expansion.

I would be curious as well. I didn’t get the last expansion and I have to admit that it’s been quite some time since I last played. It’s one of those games that is installed, but when I look at it, I just don’t want to invest the time to play.

Still, it would be interesting to hear from anyone who has played it and hear what they think about it.

No I’m afraid my HOI IV days are behind me. I’m looking forward to HOI V or something similar. At the end the DLCs, added so much complexity, it sucked the fun out of the game. I got 2,000 hours (probably quite a bit less, cause I leave the game paused a lot), more than my money’s worth.

This sounds like a great addition to the game.

Now that I have finished bg3, I am currently tossing up between revisiting hoi4/eu4/ck3. The latter two have expansions coming in 2 weeks. So little time…

For anyone without them, the expansion packs Together for Victory, Death or Dishonour and Walking the Tiger are all free on Steam right now (probably for the duration of the spring sale).

In fact it looks as though they’re incorporating them into the base game at the end of the sale. Perhaps this is going to be a new thing in the Paradox DLC plan.

Playing Germany again recently, I do feel that the player workload is out of control. It doesn’t help that they’ve added so many layers of things to fiddle with, but I find the basic attempts at the start of the design to make things a bit easier on the player never really delivered.

The land battle lines have always degenerated into a mess once things get going, and it ends up being better to control mobile forces manually. They put some effort into fixing it over the years but I guess it was an area of the code they weren’t willing to rewrite. There’s probably not many programmers who could actually implement the original vision successfully - it’s a tough problem.

Then there’s stuff like the sea orders and reporting of convoy raid results where allowing some higher level of abstraction would be so much better.

It’s frustrating because the equipment and factory model is just genius

I rushed over to claim some free DLC only to find I already had them. Still a cool move on Paradox’s part.