Hearts of Iron 4 announced

But most of the reviews I read were about how few features were part of the paid DLC. Removing one of those features and making it free would only make the value proposition worse?

Yeah, I’ve witnessed that “damned if you do, damned if you don’t” conundrum before. Put the bulk of it in the free patch and you get people complaining that the DLC is a “ripoff”. Put it in the DLC and you get shrieks of outrage over it being being a paywall (to which my response is usually along the lines of “Duh? These people draw a salary, surely they’re going to sell this stuff for money?”).

Really, all they need to do is continue to keep a full team on the project for 3+ years after release and give away everything for free, and then I think they can eliminate some of the negative review scores.

I don’t see people complaining about graphic DLC for their other games. I just thought of this patch like that but with actual meat so the price fit if they didn’t include all the other stuff. I just think “blitz” being held for DLC was going to make people mad because that is the core element of WW2. Like if someone added trench warfare DLC for WW1. That is what you associate with WW1 so of course people think it should be part of the package regardless of how much work went into it.

Gamerz probably think CDPR represents the minimum threshold for post-release support.

You’d think Paradox would be less affected by this since their audience is older.

I’m just pissed off that I asked for the season pass for Christmas and now have to wait 9 days before I can HOI it up again. :)

I should write a negative review regarding their release date!

What is the Razor/Razorblade model?

paradox has become a master of it in the software development field…I told you in another thread, they are going to become a public company via an IPO of stock…their games are NEVER done…they will ALWAYS be able to add a few columns to the spreadsheet and charge YOU for it…forever !!

I’m pretty much done with these guys …I’ll just keep the games I have and enjoy them at whatever level they’re at and take the ‘free’ patches in stride

vote with your wallet people !! make game development great again !!

Yeah, I love the Paradox DLC model. I love how I can still play CK2 after almost five years and EU4 after three and a half years and still get new, supported content. The only thing they ask in return is I shell out $15-$20 bucks once or twice a year? No brainer for me. Oh, and I have the option of at least getting the improvements without having to pay? This is a model I will continue to support.

Holy shit, lol. They’re making video games, not providing healthcare. They can’t charge anyone “forever” because everyone has the option to, you know, not buy it. And just to make sure you know, the base game never dulls or rusts either.

I seriously haven’t been able to determine if your post was serious or if it was excellent satire, but either way, well done.

I picked it up.

Crashfest. I did Paradox’s fixes, removed any mods, removed my Documents/Paradox/Hoi4 folder, still a crashfest.

Sometimes on startup, every time I increase the game speed.

Did you do a verify integrity via Steam? Maybe something got corrupted. That sucks, though, I didn’t have any issues playing with my friend last night.

Yep, reinstalled too. Baffling. It worked for 70+ hours previously :)

Ugh, that is so frustrating. Sorry to hear. Hopefully (well, that sounds odd, but you know what I mean) it’s something affecting multiple people and gets hotfixed.

There is a beta hot fix you could try.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hoi4-torch-1-3-1-beta-hotfix-patch-checksum-e4c9.989089/

That works, everything runs just fine now. Thanks, man.

hehehehehehe

I was having too much fun as England to read the reviews.

I suppose I could see the point that it should have been a $10 DLC. But every time I looked at the price of Matrix’s wargames I’m happy that Paradox exists.

Hah, yeah, I hear you there. Most people complaining about costs tend to fall into two major species, from what I’ve been able to observe:

The Communists: How dare you charge money? All content should be free! Forever!

The Mathematicians: The base game was $40, the DLC is $15. Therefore the DLC should contain new content equal to 1/3 of the entire game base. If it does not, I am outraged for being gouged by such greedy pigs. Numbers do not lie. Checkmate, Paradox!

Really, though, they can all be lumped into the same genus: Whiny Entitled Shits.

This of course doesn’t include the normal people which just say “Hmm, is that worth $15 for me? Yes/No” and move on with their lives.

I say things like ‘well I got 80 hours out of the base game already, sooooo yeah it’s a no brainer’. :)

I’ve been playing some games with South Africa and Canada and having a good time. I like the new focus trees for both countries, they have some interesting decisions and nice flavour.

My biggest problem with the game is still the same, it’s too much of a sandbox when playing a small country. Playing as Canada, a challenge in HOI4 is to conquer the USA. I had a good time doing it, but I would prefer a challenge when playing Canada to be punching above my weight in the European Theatre against the Nazis, or if the Axis is doing great by 1945 and the USA is weak, perhaps try to sneak capture some territory in the north-east when they least suspect it. I am playing with regular difficulty though I am not sure if the higher one changes any of that.

Still, great game. I’m really looking forward to a DLC that gives some love to Spain. The Spanish civil war is my favourite war to play in these HOI games.

I love this. We’re great at labeling things around here.

The corollary to The Communists is the Labor Theory of Value… -ists. They think if the developers are only tweaking a few things then they should charge less because it took them less work, rather than what the market will bear.

There’s also the Backseat Developers who already know the effort level to implement something, which informs when it should be done and how much it should cost, even though they’ve never created anything artistic or technical in their entire lives.