Hearts of Iron 4 announced

Select units, click on departure port, click on invasion tile, ensure you have naval superiority, and wait for the planning timer to conclude. Transports are abstracted away on the planning side and it works very well (though they’re still present on the map and can be bombed).

You do have to work within certain restrictions like having sufficient invasion capacity (which is awarded from research), but it’s really straightforward.

Cool thanks!

Historically, those fuel consumption concerns kept US Battleships in the hr or rather than out fighting in the Pacific. They were too fuel inefficient compared to carriers and lighter ships to justify having the big guns. Excited to give this DLC a try once I have time.

Most people here probably already have the expansion but I just got an email and VoidU has Man the Guns for $15.99 if you use promo code:

WINTERMADNESS

So what am I missing about peace conferences? This is the second game where I have conquered land and when I get to the conference I have no say in taking territory. I just took Mexico as communist US; they called in France and allies; France capitulates to Germany; Mexican Junta suddenly appears after conference with no options for me to take land I conquered a year ago. I wasn’t in a faction and had no allies of my own. Similar story with a separate game of fascist Netherlands not getting a say after owning ~80% of France. I don’t recall this problem in earlier patches, but maybe it was always like this.

@Zephyr, do you have a save during the war? What is your war participation percentage?

I wonder if maybe not being in a faction might be screwing you.

I quit after accepting peace conference, so save is after Mexico was released. Looking at the save again, it appears Mexico is a puppet of Italy. So my guess is that Mexico was at war with the Axis when I declared war on them and after France capitulated, my results were lumped into their war. However, I tried within and without a faction on an earlier Netherlands run with similar results. Within the faction, I had the highest war score against France and couldn’t even request Luxembourg to finish an achievement.

If Italy had a lot more points than you, they’ve could’ve released Mexico as a fascist puppet and given them the land for cheap, since they have would have cores, before you acted. Potentially, not a bug, but every decision appears on the right side of the peace conference and you can’t check anymore.

Peace conferences can definitely get really weird when there’s multiple factions involved. It’s better than it was at release, but there are still some situations where wars get merged and you get left out in the cold because your contribution in the greater war was small, despite you doing pretty much everything in Mexico.

My current game has me winding down my war as Germany against the USSR in which I only have 79% contribution. Why? Because apparently Germany’s solo war against the USSR was merged with the USSR’s offensive war against Italy and somehow that war was merged with Italy’s war against Greece in which Italy took the entire Peloponnesian peninsula. There are no treaties between Germany and anyone else, save for the lingering peace deals from having capitulated the Allies.

So yeah, despite not lifting a finger against the USSR, Italy is going to get a seat at the table and possibly wind up with some choice territory far beyond their original claims in Greece.

I don’t mind the peace process. It’s how wars are merged that is BS.

Yeah, that’s a better way of describing where the issue lies. The mechanics of a peace conference process itself I don’t mind.

In the situation you just described, is Italy outside your faction then?

I imagine Greece ended up in the Comitern, instead of the Allies for some reason. It’s tricky to imagine what would be right, but the war contribution mechanic is being reweighed (losses count less on the beta). Thankfully for your game, claims matter, so Italy should get cheaper claims in Greece and you in the USSR, and it’ll take a while to utilize whatever they manage to get.

Yeah, Italy is in its own faction with Japan.

That’s exactly the case. Greece went Comintern (on the same day it capitulated to Italy, no less). The Comintern then launched an offensive war against Italy to take Greece back. The war against Japan in the east has been a giant sitskrieg, so only Italy and I have war participation on ‘our’ side.

At the end of the day it doesn’t really matter given that I’ll probably declare on Italy before turning my attention to North America.

The 1.6.1 patch is suppose to be released tomorrow.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hoi4-ironclad-1-6-1-beta-hotfix-checksum-55d5.1156489/

I think we’ll need another patch before the game is really ready to play seriously. So I right now I’m only playing until 39 or 40. Hopefully Expert AI will be available soonish also

That’s a fair point. My no faction Netherlands runs had others join a separate war against France later that got lumped into one peace deal. While Germany was bogged down on the Maginot line, I capped most of France. Seems like I should have at least gotten my claim of Luxembourg in the peace deal since I had occupied that as well. I’d rather there be an option to go to war for occupied land that you don’t want to forfeit in a peace deal instead of having to justify again.

An update to my Germany/Italy vs USSR scenario. The peace conference fired last night and I was able to get everything I wanted due to Italy, Spain, Japan, and friends showing no interest in any of the USSR land I wasn’t able to claim first half dozen rounds or so.

I’m not complaining about how I benefited here, but the outcome did surprise me because despite it’s low war participation score, Japan was able to rack up more than enough points to claim Vladivostok, Kamchatka, and a few others, but didn’t. Japan should have placed a high strategic value on Sakhalin and Vladivostok.

Oh, well. A few months of dedicated research and I’ll be off to conquer the Americas.

@KevinC Remember when you said, “dive in and just ask lots of questions”? Well I’m following Quill18 tutorial vidoes and you all may live to regret saying “ask lots of questions” lol.

Soooo here’s a few I have to start:

• How can I see outline of annexed territories? For instance, as Russia I’d like to see the outline of the territory of Ukraine but I can’t find a map mope that shows it.

• When Quill18 was doing his tutorial he had some kind of event that created a war goal with Finland so he didn’t have to Justify a War Goal. How did he do that (he skipped explaining)?

• Why on God’s Green Earth does Paradox not let you remap cursor keys to WASD? Do we live in the stone age?

• Since I’m following along with Quill and he chose Russia, when I do Russia it seems I do not want to the focus tree stuff that involves revolution. So why would anyone want to go that route?

• How do you see that “width rating thing” for territories? Also, possibly related to this - when you’re in division designer what is significance of having more units 4 deep vs. going to the 4th spot to the right (if you were to add one more infantry in screenshot below)?

• How do you easily see which equipment is outdated in production screen?

more to come! lol

Not sure about the Ukraine stuff, but you can manage annexed minors in the “manage subjects” in your political screen(the flag button)

Focuses gives wargoals, for Soviet the Claims in Baltic gives wargoals against Finland.
I never really use WASD for these types of games, but I guess its useful, not sure if you can change stuff here…remember lots of hotkeys are implemented already.

Focuses that gives alternative histories, are just for your pleasure, they won’t give you an ‘edge’ as such…treat them like this…

Width only depens on how many attacks and from how many angles, you get +40 width I think per different province who attacks…

As for division designer, each line can only have a similar types of troops, so if you open an armour line, then that line is stuck with that…etc…thats the ONLY consideration…

How big a division is, however is another story, also whats in it.

Hope it helps

There is a concept of core versus colony states, but I thought USSR has core on Ukraine states?

There are a lot of focuses that give you casus belli against historical opponents. I assume the USSR focus tree has one for Finland for the Winter War.

Just for alt-history fun I guess. USSR is probably next on the list for a more interesting focus tree in the next expansion.

Battles have a combat width but I think it is the same for all locations (base 80 plus 40? per additional attack direction?). The geometrical arrangement of battalions on the division designer doesn’t matter. Each frontline unit adds some width.

If you click the warning that says outdated things in production it will give you a list of items being produce that aren’t the most current. (Typically two or three items.) You can then use the filter commands o the production screen infantry stuff, tanks airplanes or planes to see exactly what factory line is producing the obsolete item.

Regarding war justification they are three ways of getting a DOW on a country. Focus trees generally are the way you declare war on most countries. You can also go to the diplomacy screen and select justify war goal. If you aren’t currently at war or a Fascist country this will take a modest amount of political points and long time (6 months plus in not uncommon before 1939.) Finally you can join or form an alliance, and then get called into your allies war.