Hearts of Iron 4 announced

I finally think I got a grasp of managing Naval units, and I also finally understand the construction screen. I didn’t realize before you just kept building stuff infinitum in the construction screen and were mostly making adds to change how fast you could tear through your queue interspersing it with specific things you need like radar and AA.

Everything went like normal in history this time. And I’m pretty sure Germany is going to just destroy my front. I just don’t have enough military factories pumping out units and I didn’t focus on pure infantry like I maybe should have.

How do you change the home Naval Port? I have some Navy based out of Leningrad and want to re-base them out of Harju. But they’re on a mission and don’t want to mess those orders up?

Note that your military factories make equipment for your land and air units to use, not the units themselves. Creating land units is done with the recruitment screen. Creating air wings is done in the air base interface.

As far as I can tell, there’s no such thing as a home port for naval units any more. There’s just where they are now.

Ctrl Right-Click, but believe. Tooltip should tell you if you select a fleet and hover over a port.

Home ports are still used to determine naval range and where they supply from, I believe.

I think mid 37 is better there is a 3 year penalty to your troops organization and ability to research doctrines and it takes a while to get through all the purges. Since you don’t want to be suffering the malus of being purged while the Nazi tanks are in the motherland.

Thanks! Got through it and now things look dandy. Trying to build as much infantry and fighters as fast as possible to handle the German invasion. It’s going to be interesting and tough I think. Italy and Japan are doing exceedingly well. I did my best to help China with volunteers but it wasn’t enough. Took Finland really fast which made me happy, and right now I’m re-designing a 3-part front against Germany. It will be 3x24 division troops. Plus another 16 along the Hungarian Front and another 16 along the Romanian Front. Am I doing that right?

I’ve also got a tank army in reserve to counter-attack any Germany break-throughs and a garrison Army around the Dneiper River.

Woohoo, way to go, Comrade!

So I’ve started editing some of my Divisions to add support companies to them. How do I refit all the armies in the field to add these support groups?

Changing the design changes it for all current and future units, so you’ll need a lot of equipment. Otherwise, which is something I don’t do (much) yet, you should duplicate the template and change current units by selecting them and pressing a button on the top left of a unit list that looks like two arrows (I think, use the tooltip).

Yep, you won’t need to do anything else. All the divisions that were built using the template you just modified will start drawing equipment from your stockpile to match the modification you made. So if you just added an anti-tank support group to your Infantry template, every division you built with it will start pulling anti-tank pieces as they get built.

Is there a way to move these little icons from left to right? I’d like to have all my German front armies right next to each other.

20190322160949_1

You can reorder them by moving army groups out of the theater and then back in.

(Or by temporarily assigning them to another army group)

Something weird… I still have biplane fighters being built (they keep showing up when I click new airwing) and have no idea where they’re coming from.

They’re likely not actively being built, they’re probably just sitting in your stockpile. There’s a screen where you can pull up your inventory of equipment, you’ll likely see how many old biplanes you have there.

So what happens is existing air wings upgrade to new models and the old biplanes end up back in your inventory. So when you create a new air wing, it has the option to make from biplanes. But then it will immediately upgrade if it can, and the old planes end up back in your inventory…

I think you can destroy or give away the old planes if you really don’t want them.

I seem to have made a big booboo. I only have 100 days of fuel left. What’s the best way to fix this fast? I can’t seem to find any option to do anything on the resource map to my oilfields.

OK that makes sense. Never would have guessed that before. Thanks!

On the industry tech page there are techs to improve your refining efficiency. You can also research extraction techs to improve your resource generation and Max out infrastructure in your oil producing provinces.

Other than that, you need to cut back on fuel consumption. Navy is the biggest hog (put some ships in Port and make sure you’re only using destroyers and cruisers to patrol, not capital ships) but you can also reduce the number of aircraft you have running missions or training.

Meh, 100 days is way beyond what the German’s had :) I have no idea how much is normal yet. Silo’s store it, but it’s a bit late if you’re in the war, so you can build infra or research extraction techs to increase the extraction, like with any other resource. Or you can import it, otherwise you have to use less.
Beware the meaning of the number of days is the opposite depending on whether it’s red or green.

I fixed my Fuel problem by trading with Iran for it. But I got that idea by saving my game then loading up with Germany to see how they were doing on fuel (just fine).

So not that I actually understand the interplay between logistics, production, and units, I see how much I screwed myself. It makes sense now why I needed to go like mad on Infrastructure and Civ factories (apparently better infrastructure lets you build factories faster)?

Nowogrodek was my primary airbase. I say was, because I’d been hoping it was far enough back from the front that it would remain intact. But Germany just got there and is starting to attack. THat’s bad because I had maxed out it’s size, AA capabilities, and radar. Looks like I should have set all that up at Minsk. Also thought maybe I could hang onto air superiority over my own land, but I’m losing that too along with most of my fighters. For the first few months I was doing good too.

Not good. Had an entire 24 division tank group wiped out by Romania and I’m not producing Infantry nor Aircraft fast enough to remotely keep up with losses. Had a solid defensive line on the Romanian border too.

See my big tank group? Is it bad to keep them all together and tell them to attack in different places as I try to find a weak joint to push do a pincer movement to try and cut off the enemy from their supplies? I’m not sure if having 24 tanks in one province is bad for my own supply? Should I have them attacking multiple points at a time instead of just one?