Hearts of Iron 4 announced

Your troops are smarter than mine. :D I will double check but I could swear that I saw this happen in my most recent game before I gave up on the front system.

I do make sure to coo and give lots of compliments, maybe try that. Or snausages.

The carrier version of naval bombers is the one with high naval attack, and given names of historical torpedo bombers. The carrier version of CAS on the other hand has weak naval attack but can help when you are trying to help out land battles far away from available air bases.

Overall it would be better if say carrier CAS was somehow more useful than they are in naval battles, while being distinct in some way from the carrier NAVs.

I am so tense while playing this game my hand becomes a warped claw that’s hard to unfurl from gripping the mouse so hard.

Ouch, don’t hurt yourself! I play with a trackpad at low speed (1 or 2), and I pause a lot, so I’m pretty relaxed.

It’s late 1945 in my game. I may post some screenshots later. In the east, I’ve liberated the British Raj, which now encompasses all of India, Burma and Vietnam. I’ve taken Taiwan and am now landing on the Kurile Islands, where the outcome is in doubt. Japan is 2% toward capitulation; a start. I’m going to take the Chinese ports and move inland to liberate China. I’m wondering whether I’ll just keep going to liberate Siberia, lol.

In the west, I’m building up forces in England and the Azores, thinking about a possible D-Day. Also strategic bombing. But most of army is tied up in Asia, so I dunno.

Yes please do :)

Hmm, I don’t love the rules for who gets credit as occupying territory. I’m doing all the work, but the British Raj expands with every province I take, apparently because I’m attacking from territory they owned originally. I know a peace conference may eventually adjust the current allocation of occupied territory, but it’s annoying not to immediately gain direct control over resources my troops fought for and occupy. And yes, I know I can ask for control of a state, but the AI often says no.

Is there any way to change the default rules for who occupies what? I’d prefer not to use a mod (like player-led conferences) just yet, as it would be nice to earn one or two achievements at least.

What does the Raj give as the reason for not transferring?

Well, I’ll be, the Raj said yes! Problem solved. :)

That’s great. If you take control of the front line states, you hopefully don’t have to request transfer going forward.

Yep, that worked just as you say: my blue blob is growing! Although now I also see the benefits of letting the Raj swallow everything: they get garrison duty, and with their massive manpower, they crank out tons of units. I’m still growing my blue blob, though. I really appreciate that tip. Makes the game a lot more fun.

I am still playing that USA playthrough, but I’ve also been trying Australia on the “nonhistorical” path option. (I’ve now bought all the DLC, so I get the Oz focus tree.) Great fun! Britain went Fascist, and I and the other members of the Commonwealth all declared independence. Now Britain is “The Allies” with Italy, while Germany is starting to swallow up its neighbors as “The Axis.” The US is neutral. Japan is locked in a civil war, so there has been no China war or war in the Pacific at all as of early 1940.

Britain is mad at me and its other former underlings, and they’ve justified a war against me – as have the Axis. So I think someone will declare war on me. I’m busy making destroyers with minelaying capability to try to protect my ports. The big challenge for Oz is manpower, but there are focuses and laws that ameliorate it somewhat.

So … any of the DLC considered need to have? On sale at humblebundle right now, so thinking of jumping in.

I’ve been having a great time with just the base game. I know I’ve complained plenty about the game and the occasional AI stupidity, but it keeps pulling me back in with it’s theming and alt-world building.

One site’s take.

I have all the DLC. My favorite DLC is Man the Guns, but I’m a naval-war buff.

Man the Guns is the best one so far, IMO. Waking the Tiger is a must-have if you want to play in Asia. Hmm, which expansion added the Autonomy system? I really like that mechanic.

This post was probably less than helpful.

I think the autonomy is part of the Together for Victory or whatever it is called that focuses on the Commonwealth stuff.

Tempted. But I have like three HoI titles in my steam library and i bounced off of them hard.

I don’t want to be the dude that sways you into getting it, but I found HOI4 the most engaging of the lot. I was able to get into HOI3 and enjoy it, but just getting a game started was a slog. Not so in HOI4, it’s more amenable to jumping in and pushing buttons (even if it might be with disastrous results until you know what you’re doing :)).

Just one guy’s opinion, though!

I tried either HOI 1 or 2, I forget which. Played a fair amount of HOI 3, and also rage quit and equal number of games. I agree completely with Kevin. HOI 3 is just way more accessible than the other version, in everything from the innovative battle line system. Where you draw a frontline and arrows to attack an objective. To a still deep research system, but not ridiculously complicated research system like HOI 3,

There are lot of quality of life improvements, including not being forced to spend 3 hours every game reorganizing the OOB for the major countries, and taking a second job as Head of Army personal that was required for HOI 3.

HOI IV has some beautiful executed sub-system like a production system, which is probably the best production system ever done for any game ever.