Hearts of Iron 4 announced

With only a 100 hours logged, I’ve only played vanilla focus trees. I’m not sure I could’ve handled any of the revised trees while learning the game.

Spain is looking like so much fun now. Here’s Republican Spain:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hoi4-dev-diary-¡no-pasaran-republican-spain-focus-tree.1253437/

Republicans, Stalinists, independent communists, anarchists, oh my!

Thanks for posting that @KevinC. The anarchist route looks pretty interesting. I suspect there will be many AAR’s of people starting worldwide anarchist revolutions.

No kidding. So many different ways to play Spain, wow.

The focus trees and options look really amazing, but I am wondering how all these proliferating alt-history branches are going to do when they collide with one another. As it is, you’ve already got a lot of really weird interactions, and the branches of other nations usually don’t have a way to respond realistically to radical political developments in these countries.

I wonder if all the effort going into focus trees would have been better invested in better internal and external political mechanics. Like anarchists and monarchists are still stuck under the Unaligned ideology.

You want some armored cars? You got it. And also different recon companies, with intel capabilities.
Intel what? Stay tuned for PDXCON.

Nice! Sounds like the PDXCON news should be pretty big this year. Major Stellaris announcement, a new grand strategy game announcement (Victoria 3?!), Planetfal announcement as well, I think.

I like the changes, especially that tactics selection has got some tweaks and attention. Maybe it will be more useful now.

I do also my only complaint is that armor cars are yet another thing to research and they fall into the nice to have category. I hope there isn’t a need to research each type of recon unit separately. I posted a suggestion on one approach to solving the too many things to research problem on the HOI forums

Unless they straight up lied about it, they already said it won’t be Victoria 3. Presumably because they hate me.

My guess is either CK3 or a whole new Illwinter Dominions style fantasy grand strategy. But definitely looking forward to this SCW expansion as well.

I would be all over a Paradox fantasy game. Granted, that was my thought with Stellaris too, but I think a fantasy setting might work better with more of a classic Paradox grand strategy setup rather than needing to be 4X.

If they do CK3 I’ll be interested to see what they do with it considering the amount of content for CK2. I’d think they’d have to make it pretty drastically different.

Maybe they’ll pull a switcheroo and call it something other than Victoria 3, like how they called EU:Rome 2 Imperator. Throw everyone off balance?! :)

If it’s not a Victoria game, I’m very curious! Stellaris was their first attempt at a 4X hybrid and it shows, and we’ve been told there’s no news on what’s next for that title until PDXCON. I expect that announcement to be an expansion, but a Stellaris 2 isn’t out of the realm of possibility, I suppose. Has there been anything announced for CK2 after Holy Fury? That’s their one title I don’t really follow.

If it’s not a sequel to an existing franchise, then I’m doubly curious. If it’s historical then what time period? Could it be something like a fantasy GSG?

I’d be totally okay with this!

If it’s a historical title I just don’t know what they’d cover. The time periods that wouldn’t overlap with an existing game would either come before or after Imperator or be post-WW2. As much as I’d love a full Fall of Rome Paradox game, I doubt any of these time periods would be next. The other option would be a more zoomed-in and focused setting, but that’s never worked out well for Paradox.

So yeah, CK3 or something non-historical like a fantasy game would make sense. A Stellaris 2 announcement would likely piss a lot of people off.

Do you know if they’re planning to talk about the next EU4 expansion? I have been meaning to get back into Imperator, but made the mistake of launching EU4 with a handful of new DLC and lots of time apart and, oh dear look at that, I am addicted again.

Very very off-topic, but when the state of the world is what it is you really begin to appreciate the therapeutic nature of some videogames. They can be very relaxing and help in the recharging of batteries that is needed to face more days of perennial disappointment.

Fans were pretty awful last year about the secret game not being Victoria, I wouldn’t fan the hype right now. Not that it needs to…

There’s so much mileage I could still get out of CK2 that it would have to be really special in some way. But I’m not most people.

Definitely yes.

I like: too many things to research. Make a choice…guns or butter. No meta. Everything is mostly balanced.

Yes, I would expect them to. They’ve already been starting to cover details in dev diaries. So far, we know that they were originally planning on spending all of this year on this one expansion, but they decided in the spring that they would push it back to 2020 to give themselves more time. I would expect the expansion to be quite substantial for those reasons. So far we know that the expansion is a return to Europe and will contain significant additions to the HRE and the Pope / Catholicism. They’ve largely been nibbling around the edges so far, so I would not be at all surprised if they had an infodump at the convention.

Whatever it is, it’s apparently big because they’re really intent on having streamers and other influencers come out to there thing where they’re going to reveal it.

So I assume it’s some sort of sequel or the like for something people have really wanted.

Reported.