Heat Questions

I’ve upgraded my little IDEQ 200N small form factor (it’s basically a shuttle-like box), maxing out the CPU, RAM, and vid card. I had to buy a new power supply to run it. The only problem is that it gets hot in there.

I’m getting lots of red dots in Doom 3, but no other games, which is indicative of overheating.

According to my catalyst software, my 9800XT is running at around 75C, but it can spike up to 80C. I’ve been trying to do some research on the web, and there seems to be all sorts of opinions on what a “safe” or “normal” operating temperature can be.

My CPU (AthlonXP 3200+) is idling at around 55C.

There’s not much I can do in terms of installing more fans or opening up more space in my system. But are those temperatures worrying?

There’s not much I can do in terms of installing more fans or opening up more space in my system. But are those temperatures worrying?

I guess it depends on your tolerance for little red dots in Doom. If you’re getting corruption from heat, maybe you should look at a different case.

Ditto what Tim just said. I’m not familiar with your mini-case, but you can try replacing whatever system fan is in there with a higher RPM model. Depending on its location, it may or may not cool the video card down a little.

75C and up is way too hot for the CPU’s good. Yeah it may run but your performance is going down and you are degrading the life of the electronic pretty good. Try throwing in another fan to complement the existing one. Install it so that one fan pulls in and one blows out creating a “wind tunnel” of air. On these small boxes this should help reduce heat enough to help out.

Although your points still apply, shift, I just want to clarify that he’s talking about his GPU, not his CPU. GPUs sometimes have a higher maximum operating temperature than CPUs. His CPU is 55. His GPU is 75+.

Try removing the cover on your case. See if that drops your GPU temps down. If the red dots go away, that means the video card isn’t getting enough cool air.

If you can’t find any easy way to get more fresh air flowing past the video card, then like Tim says: Time to get a new case.

-Roger

Also, be careful when you remove your cover that it doesn’t actually get hotter, sometimes you run cooler with the cover ON since you get the desired airflow that the case was design for. If you take the cover off, get a fan to blow into the case to be sure the air circulates and you do not develop a hot pocket.