Hee Haw for President!

Article that pretty much boots George Allen (R - VA Senator) out of the presidential running, near as I can tell.

Allen knows the trouble spots in his record and has ready answers. We talk about his sister’s book (“It’s the perspective of the youngest child, who is a girl”), about the noose (“It had nothing to do with anything other than the Western motif in my office”), and about the Confederate flag once hanging in his living room (“I have a flag collection”). As for his mischievous attempt to scare his classmates into believing that his school was going to be burned to the ground, Allen, who, as a member of the Virginia House of Delegates, co-sponsored a resolution calling for a crackdown on school vandalism, denies the incident had anything to do with race. “It was something like eat crap or something like that,” says Allen, who was suspended for the incident. “Your school sucks, and so forth. It wasn’t racial. Bad enough what I did–didn’t have that to it. The purpose was to get your team riled up against a rival.”

We move away from race and onto energy independence. But there was one nagging question that, even as I sat there listening to Allen go on about soy diesel fuel and lithium ion batteries, I still wasn’t sure I would ask. Two days earlier, while preparing for this interview, I had Allen’s high school yearbook open in front of me. I kept thinking about the creepy game day prank and the classmates who described the rebel flag on the car and the e-mail from Patrick Campbell: “Some of my classmates and I became rather disturbed a few years ago when we learned that George was rising in the political scene,” he had written me. “Mr. Allen is known as a racist in our Southern California society which is why we feel he relocated to an environment which was more supportive of his view points.” Maybe I had just stepped into the middle of a revenge-of-the-nerds type spat; Allen was, after all, the quarterback of the football team, and Campbell was a biology lab assistant. And did anything that happened in high school really matter today?

I stared closely at Allen’s smirk in his photo, weighing whether his old classmates were just out to destroy him. And then I noticed something on his collar. It’s hard to make out, but then it becomes obvious. Seventeen-year-old George Allen is wearing a Confederate flag pin.

“Pin Pick” is the name of the article… good one.

That website needs registration

In related news, WebSense is now filtering bugmenot.com as “hacking”

More.

Images of Allen are like a Civil War version of Where’s Waldo, with the Confederate flag replacing the bespectacled cartoon character. First, as The New Republic reported last week, there’s the senior class photo from Palos Verdes High School with Allen wearing a Confederate flag pin (“Pin Prick,” May 8). Now we learn that the Confederate flag appears as a decoration in Allen’s first statewide ad, even though he has long maintained that the flag did not adorn his home after 1992.

According to his colleagues, classmates, and published reports, Allen has either displayed the flag–on himself, his car, inside his home–or expressed his enthusiastic approval of the emblem from approximately 1967 to 2000.

Take from a Virginian: he’s a dip.

Please, please let the Republicans nominate Allen in 2008

Can I declare republican just so I can vote Allen in the primary? It’s looking like that’s a decent strategery for all of us fearful liberals out there.

Who’s going to beat him out for the nomination? The current POTUS is as near to teflon as a human being can get. I can easily see a scenario that elevates Allen to the Presidency with little real opposition.

1 - The Democratic Nominee
2 - Whether or not the Hispanic vote is marginalized
3 - The Strom Thurmond, Trent Lott effect ie past actions and current affiliations are meaningless to a large majority of voters

I think you’re counting on Republican voters to tell the difference between the lunatics and the viable candidates. I don’t think we can take that chance.

The Confederate flag is serious stuff.

Its a Virginia battle flag not the flag of the CSA. I had a different opinion of it until I learned that it started showing up all over, including state flags, during the civil rights movement.

Are you saying that it showed up as an anti-black reaction in the 60s?

It didn’t become a widespread Southern populist symbol until the push for desegregation. It was in this time period that some souther states added the battle flag to their state flags.

Troy

Look up state legislature minutes/legislation from the late 50’s and early 60’s and then ask why it was that flag instead of the flag of the CSA.