Hegemony III - It's not Total War, it's totally war

I haven’t had any raiders in my early game so far, just rebels from neutral camps. One of the updates looks to have re-worked the raider system to tie in with city morale. High taxes will lower city morale, which in turn leads to raids. Lowering taxes will raise morale and also reduce raids. Basically mo’ money, mo’ raiders.

That is awesome! Time to dive in. I love developers that keep improving games long after the major sales window. They have my loyalty and future purchases.

Yeah, they’ve been banging on this for a while. I imagine it’s pretty nicely honed by now. I keep secretly hoping it wins Request Wednesday so that I have to play it!

-Tom

Arise thread!

After giving this a try a little while back, it didn’t click with me, so I shelved it. After reading about in the Warhammer thread, I gave it another try.

This time it seems to be clicking though, and I am having a great time. The tutorial could use some work, but this time I’m doing some extra reading through the help files (man I wish this game had a manual), and am having a much better time with things. Last time I was like “Why are my people starving!? Why is there no clear way to make a trade route!” Now I get it, and things are going way better.

So I can’t wait to play this more. IT seems like it has a massive amount of content, and I can save anytime, so no worrying about unsaveable tactical battles in TW games. Ugh.

That’s good to know. I bounced off it too, but I really love the way it smoothly scrolls from a kind of TW-style tactical minatures battle to a grand-strategy board game. I just got frustrated with not being able to make any progress because I can only field so many units, and I’m always getting attacked by bandits or raiders in more places than I can defend.

But I should try it again too.

Let me know if defending your territory after you expand becomes too whack a moley. The initial stages of Hegemony I were really good, but once I expanded it became frustrating and tedious.It’s tough when games get so close to pulling it off.

I should love this because of the setting, but the gameplay ruins it for me. By the time I united Messapia, I was already spending way too much time scrolling back and forth between my armies and cities. I’m not impressed with the combat either. I wish they had made a turn-based game more like Romance of the Three Kingdoms XI instead.

I just re-downloaded myself. lessee how we go…

Good news, folks! Longbow Games will release another DLC this year - Hegemony III: Isle of Giants :-)

Snapshot: “A new expansion for Hegemony III is coming! Play as any of a dozen new factions of the mysterious Nuragic civilization to unite the new islands of Sardinia and Corsica and challenge the Roman, Greek and Gallic factions of the mainland for dominance of ancient Italy.”

@richardlgaines never returned from his re-install of the game 3 years ago. Who’s life will this new DLC claim?

Yeah, it’s a pretty deep game… easy to get lost haha

Day one purchase. So glad to see this game getting more love. It deserves it.

I haven’t played this since it first came out, and I was pretty burned out on Hegemony at that point so it looks like I only have 6.5 hours in it. You guys are saying this is worth revisiting?

Been on the fence on this one for ages. Anyone know if this is the last of the content they’ll be adding? Got admit I’m a bit surprised given the release date they have circled back this long afterwards with this DLC.

To me the Hegemony series is one that was on the verge of coming up with something really good, but it had enough annoyances that would cause me to throw in the towel before finishing a game. I think the first one had bad whack-a-mole issues. I think the 2nd improved that some, but the issue was still there and I think there was something new I didn’t like about it. Actually, I don’t think I tried the 3rd, so maybe that is better.

I think the Pyrrhus of Epirus campaign (The Eagle King DLC) is pretty awesome. In the sandbox it’s honestly a question of setting objectives, you don’t need to capture every single city, just go for the hegemony objectives or set your own goal, e.g. conquer Magna Graecia or conquer Sicily, and if you have no good idea, go check the achievements… But if you want to get into again, then best wait for the DLC, it will come with a free patch (as always) and I feel they will add stuff like more diplomacy, so that should be interesting.

Yes, I can see that Longbow got other games to develop, but 4 years since the last DLC is a long, long time indeed. Hopefully, they used the time to polish their designs. :-)

Oh, they wanted to release a new DLC in 2018! Seems being an indie studio with limited resources and other projects on the table, is not ideal for mass producing DLC… ;-)

Well, I didn’t play No. 1 and 2, so can’t comment on them. In No. 3 I think I’ve read that they tuned down the rebel raider stuff, introduced difficulty levels, and as long as you don’t let fog of war cloud your territories you should be save from raider spawn.

By the way, Longbow uploaded a Developer Playthrough for their last DLC The Eagle King, when it was released - well worth checking out imho: