Helherron - great party-based roguelike RPG, need help!

I rolled up a new party yesterday for the new 64 bit version (which took forever, btw) and noted on the OO forums that it seems like the upper stat values have been increased. The dev responded thusly:

Initial attributes are now normally distributed, which means there are no strict upper and lower limits. So in theory you could have strength 100 at the beginning of the game, but that’s super unlikely.

Now, that’s pretty cool that you might get one outrageously godly outlier stat in your roll (and I saw one or two of those) but the trick is pairing that one stat with other decent stats. I spent a lot of time and was able to get one good roll that did that but I stupidly rerolled and never saw anything that good again. While it’s nice you can theoretically roll a monster character now, it does make it more tempting to keep trying to do that, which may not be so good for my power gamer mental health.

In any case, I am in the goblin caves now and have not had any stability issues. I fought a battle with bunch of spiders and grid bugs aplenty with no crashing or other problems. It seems rock steady so far. I’m hopeful that now I can at last finish a run through of this game.