Helherron - great party-based roguelike RPG, need help!

Uh…Peace’, what’s the matter? How is my stating the facts about the source code which YOU lamented not being made available to us not relevant?! You seem to be in the mood to pick a fight or something so I won’t pursue the matter beyond this reply but really guy…

Well, congratulations on saying a bunch of irrelevant things.

The things SkeleTony posted are more relevant than anything you and peacedog have posted in this thread. Threadcop, police thyself.

-Tom

Excuse me?

Gah, I meant peacedog. My bad, angry. Apologies. Sometimes I infer too much from a poster’s name. Post edited!

-Tom

Even still, look at the first page of this thread… Peacedog is like the rainman of helherron.

Which justifies a bullshit content-free slam of another poster one year later? If you can’t get over whatever grudge you’re nursing from a year ago, at least have the grace to steer clear of the “post reply” button.

-Tom

Guess its not my fight so whatever, but you pick the strangest places to draw your lines in the sand.

Then I take it you won’t mind if I lash out at you a year from now? Let me go mark my calendar.

-Tom

I hate it when daddy drinks.

There’s no fight. A guy apparently gets drunk and slams SkeleTony for no visible reason, a sidekick smells blood and joins in, the rest of us are like wtf.

Waiting for the Helherron discussion to re-rail - this game and its cousins Natuk/Nahlahk deserve it.

And it’s cousin twice removed, Disciples of Steel.

Thankfully, I am saved from making a Lets Play of this magnificent game, since another person already has, and recently. I discovered this only after some googling prompted by this thread necro.

The Disciples of Steel Lets Play is over at RPG Codex. It is a screeny + text based Lets Play with blessedly light characterization and forumite interaction. The author doesn’t always explain game features, like suffering injuries that impact on to-hit and damage numbers, but hey, if I think I can do a better job I can try right?

Link follows to the specific thread.

I got around around to trying Helherron, only to discover that it’s harder on my system than fucking Crysis, so I promptly quit and don’t intend to launch it again. Ah well.

A++, would read summary again.

Tony, please forgive me :( :( :(

Indeed. It was either he or Mr. Fed who turned me onto Helherron. Just to be clear here, I have ZERO problem with Peacedog and have a lot of respect for him…which is why I was so puzzled by his “irrelevant” response to my post.

But enough of that.

Dammit! Now I have to go track down a copy of this game…

You need 3 things:

Game file (comes as a zip)
Manual
Patch to 1.013

Don’t use a cracked version, the game was never cracked properly. The manual will enable you to satisfy the copy protection.

Abandonia has the game and the manual available for download. The patch is harder to find but PM me your email and I can send it to you. If you have trouble finding the other files I can send you those too, even the game zip is under 5mb.

Sent you a PM Lykurgos. ;)

I PMed ya too. darned qt3 effect. ;-)

Wow, 2 people to play Disciples of Steel. If you both recruit 2 people too, and they do aswell and so on, how long before the entire world is playing?

Ack! I have gotten so used to GOG and how they include DosBox with every old game installer/set up that I forgot I don’t have DosBox itself installed on my comp. Will Disciples of Steel work with the D-Fend frontend, does anybody know?

Also Lykurgos the copy of DoS that I got from Abandonia is actually the cracked version. Apparently someone figured out you could open the file that stores the 108 passwords, using Notepad and change it so that there are no passwords and you can just hit ‘enter’ at the prompt(I always thought cracks were something more…‘code-y’ than that.) and so changed that file.
Will this really affect game play or the patching process? I guess I can do a search for the un-cracked version instead of being a lazy ass.