Helherron - great party-based roguelike RPG, need help!

I didn’t buy it again; the site just has downloads to the executables right now without any sort of “did you buy before?”. I expect that he’s aiming to touch it up enough that he can properly re-release it (steam, Apple Store, maybe Google Store as well?). That means a lot more art changes (which he has said is coming) in addition to the resolution changes. And more UI overhaul, certainly. I mean, Helherron 2.04 was 2006. Which means, holy crap, I am pretty sure the initial release predates OO (OCT 12 2004) but memory is foggy. Wow time flies.

32 strength, I believe. 33 constitution. On separate rolls.

Actually, he just posted the below over on OO this evening in answer to a question I had:

Yes, mobile versions are on the roadmap. But before that, higher resolutions and mouse support for the desktop (but those who prefer the classic interface will always be able to use it).

Mobile versions need hardware rendering which means some extra work. I suspect the current software rendering would kill your battery way too fast.

Well I am glad you didn’t miss a 100 :)

Would someone who is playing post some new screenshots from your game?

Sure @jpinard . These are 1280x800, the current highest. There are more resolutions coming but the dev has font issues to sort out before that. Is there something specific you are looking for?

how do you even launch this thing

Are you really asking how to run an executable?

yes?

so I downloaded it again and now there’s an executable.

So. . . no. Speak plainly, man.

I don’t know why your download didn’t include an .exe but mine did. Mind you I grabbed it yesterday. Although I just redownloaded and it still has one. That’s so weird. Maybe gremlins?

I’ve finished clearing the goblin caves and while my priests and mage have had no issues getting XP and are in fact already at level 2, my melee guys are struggling to get XP and remain far from level 2, even though they have made the vast majority of the kills. I assume this is because the magic users cast a spell every turn and get XP for that and the melee often do nothing more than guard or move.

So, question: Is there anything I can do improve the rate at which my fighter, monk and golem get XP or are they doomed to always lag far behind the others in level?

D0med. It won’t be a massive difference over the long haul. Or it didn’t used to be (I have way more pre 2.0 experience with the game than post 2.0 experience).

Well, I’ve found (sort of) a remedy for some of the low melee XP issues by visiting the arena in the first town. A few fights there were enough to get my troll fighter up a level. Unfortunately, golems are not accepted there so he’s still under leveled compared to everyone else.

Fights in general seem tougher than in the previous versions of the game. I really hope I can find some speed gear for the golem soon. That would help a lot.

Xp needed to level escalates a lot like it did back in AD&D. So the level disparity never gets significant. FWIW.

Getting + move gear is really important. It’s the kindo f thing you’ll want to save and enchant where possible (since enchanting it will add to the bonus). It’s also really OP on archers (every 4 move = another shot in a round) but that’s going to change in a future patch.

Btw you are aware of the 'T’actics screen (I think it’s shift-T)? You can trade dodge for weapon skill (and vice versa), up to a certain point (and based on your skill with the equipped weapon). It’s great on golems and often advisable on other melee types. And mages, although they won’t be able to take full advantage because you won’t be leveling their weapon skills that much.

Yes. in fact I have my golem set to berserk stance since he can’t dodge anyway. I just have the troll at ‘aggressive’. I set the fairies all to max dodge but even with the help, their dodge values are still total crap.

I just got through the first fight in the dwarven temple. It was tougher than I remembered.

[quote=“Coldsteel, post:115, topic:63700”]
Yes. in fact I have my golem set to berserk stance since he can’t dodge anyway. I just have the troll at ‘aggressive’. I set the fairies all to max dodge but even with the help, their dodge values are still total crap.[/quote]

Good, just making sure. You can get some dodge on Golems in late game but I never felt like it was very much.

I always liked to do Kobolds before the temple. I think. There’s a room in there where you can grab some spellbooks iirc. And really spellbook availability is one of the big limiters in the game (of course, you can get books you won’t be able to use for ages; I got Chain Lightning this game but also Fireball. I’m now at the point - I think I just hit 5 - where it’s roughly a 50% cast chance). Still haven’t seen any sleep books. But I am now rocking create water on both priests.

I still sort of miss way back pre 2.0 when the path to ultimate power was hording money (excepting the occasional spell book purchase) and then crafting +X daggers of [spell stat]. It was such a huge boost to caster efficacy and you could get them up and going more quickly than you might think.

Meant to add: I find undead tricksy in this game in the early going (partly why I skip Dwarf temple for a bit). You can stun/sleep/confuse them generally.

I just ran over to Buglurji to see if it might have some stuff for sale but it’s completely empty. Mayor’s office, shops, inn, all empty of people except for Paco the Elder. Is that the way it’s supposed to be? Just the one person there? It’s been so long that I don’t remember but I think I remember buying a boat trip there and the boat travel office is empty as well. It’s a ghost town.

I backed away from the dwarf temple after winning the first two battles. I’ll come back later with more firepower to finish that. I’ll try the Kobold cave as you suggest because I can sure use some decent spells. Party is currently level 2-3.

Mind your time of day. If it’s evening they are all “asleep”, come back in the morning. Yes I am pretty sure this is new to the post 2.0 world. It happened to me the first time I went there and it threw me off, lol. Although it’s not the best place for shopping if you weren’t aware. You never know when inventory will hold so it’s always worth peeking.

How do I see my skills? I can look at my stats and my inventory but I can’t find skills.

The ‘z’ key. It’s missing from the keyboard commands help screen for some reason. The dev says he’d add it in an upcoming patch.

Hah! you know, I never even thought to check the time. I bet that’s it.