Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

Hellblade is scheduled for release next month, it’s by Ninja Theory. I’ve not played a Ninja Theory game, but aware they’re well know for the Devil May Cry beat-em up games. Senua appears to be the widow of a Nordic warrior, and she’s journeying in to Hell to rescue her husband.

It seems like, while this is a 1 on 1 combat title, the fighting actually takes a back seat to the story.

It wants to use its hero’s journey as a way to explore real life mental illness. The particular focus will be on psychosis, with Senua suffering hallucinations that splinter her perception of reality.('Hellblade' game explores real-life mental health issues | WIRED UK)

The work on audio cues, hearing voices, seems really well done, well at least in the trailer. There are also a lot of puzzles based on Senua attempting to overcome her visual hallucinations.

I don’t know how it’s gonna play, but I appreciate the scope of the premise. It’s also a discounted title, about $30, so perhaps a shorter experience?

Yeah I’m curious if this will be any good. Ninja Theory seems to enjoy the story side of their games more than the gameplay. They did the DmC: Devil May Cry reboot that was fun but had some issues.

They said it’s a shorter game, 4-6 hours, hence the price. They’re trying to work in that mid-tier space. I think they called it “indie AAA” one time. Oh yeah, here you go:

http://www.hellblade.com/the-independent-aaa-proposition/

This is on my watchlist. Lately I enjoy shorter, encapsulated experiences more than 60-80 hour games. Hopefully it will be good.

Not sure I learned anything.

I bought the game, and since it seems to be a short one, I’m abstaining from any more media 'til release next week.

Sounds like this is part walking sim, part combat, and part puzzles. It looks good and the audio is creepy. Might be cool if you have surround sound or headphones.

I wouldn’t go into this expecting much to the combat, but it could be a pretty neat experience type of game. Hard to tell for sure.

I’m interested in this since it seems to touch on mental health which is rare in games.

I discovered this existed just a week ago from the PSN ads. Just noticed today randomly it was due to be released today.

The intense art style, sound design and style of the kind of suckered me in. The Steam page says

Created in collaboration with neuroscientists and people who experience psychosis, Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice will pull you deep into Senua’s mind.

Interesting enough for me to toss some green into the hat.

Jim Sterling - 1/10

I guess the game bugged out on him or something. Good reviews otherwise.

Yeah a glitch made it unplayable and it autosaves and deletes previous saves so he couldn’t go back.

Though he just posted this after people have been giving him shit all day:

And he took the video down apparently. So expect Jim Sterling levels of snark, or maybe he’ll actually make it like a 2 or something.

He said it was a 7-8 until he hit that glitch.

I do think it is lame to publish review that goes up on metacritic with score like that, caused by a bug that will probably be fixed very quickly. I mean yes, developers should ideally release bugfree games, but with millions of lines of code, it is not always possible to find everything, even when you are big studio with megapublisher backing, let alone a small team. He should definitely warn people about the bug of course.
But I cannot be too angry at him because I can imagine how pissed I would be if I got a bug like that :)

No snark.

Took down his Metacritic review for the time being.

Ah, apparently this is a thing:

My interest in the game just tripled. Hell, I just bought it!!!

So maybe Jim wasnt paying that close attention?

I don’t think that’s it. Sounds like he missed a puzzle and couldn’t progress.

Juan, I’d be happy to come to your house and punch you if you die too much in Hellblade. Oh, the tension you’ll feel!

Have you read the Lottery of Babylon by Borges? It speaks to this psychological issue. Namely, the thrill of having a possible punishment hanging over your head (and avoiding it) can be greater than the thrill of a reward, as long as you know the punishment is there. You can play poker with fake money, yet very few people do (because the game is designed such that the stakes are about the possibility of winning and losing money). Compare that to Mus (a better bluffing game where no money changes hands yet it provides the same thrill as poker playing, imho).

I like strong design choices (money in poker is just too bland). In this case I’d rather be punished with a permadeath (and maybe not finishing the game, since my time is limited) if that’s going to make the time I play more tense.

Of course, it needs to be a punishment you are OK with, which is to say, no to punches!

I’m aware of a phenomenon like that. I just think it’s stupid.

If you promise yourself you won’t replay it if you die then that’s fine. I just feel for the people that go through the effort of replaying a linear experience game. The waste of time makes me cringe.

Yes, but playing games is stupid, and gloriously so. That’s why I want stuff like this in games and try to avoid it in real life.

I probably need a break from forums because I can see the same stodgy arguments coming a mile a way.

Games aren’t stupid. They are entertainment. My metric for their worth is joy per hour. How anyone could find joy replaying the same linear, engineered experience because of an arbitrarily programmed fail state is beyond me.

You are missing the point. It’s not the replaying, but the playing it once knowing there’s a punishment. The thrill, that first playthrough, gives me more enjoyment per hour.

Again, I didn’t think the permanent is going to be easy to trigger, but if I do it I might not replay. I’m no longer a completionist