Hellboy

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=hellboy.htm

$40 million to date. So after 2 weeks, they’ve grossed half their investment, and that’s for a movie only showing in the US right now. European ticket sales should help turn a small profit. Not bad.

Sammael, whatever the shit that is, was some weird replacement for the frog creatures. The corpse almost seems an homage to the short story The Corpse by Mignola.

I have very mixed feelings about this movie that are based in the realm of “They could have made it more like the comic and it would have still been a crowd pleaser.”

Sammael, whatever the shit that is, was some weird replacement for the frog creatures. The corpse almost seems an homage to the short story The Corpse by Mignola.

Yeah the corpse was definitely a homage to The Corpse short story. My point was that Del Toro didn’t strictly stick to the SoD series but drew from other, later comics as well as completely new material so it wasn’t a line by line adaption to the same degree that the Potter movies have been.

Sorry to resurect this old chestnut, but I just watched this today, and just read through the commnets. I agree it was sort of Meh, but it wasn’t that bad. Most of the plot holes have been explained, but what happened with that Sammael monster? It was duplicating itself after it died, so after Liz blasts all those buggers, they should have come back, right?

Also, it wasn’t Pure Love that brought Liz back. Hellboy clearly says he threatened the folks in hell to get her back, which actually is original. If not original, at least it wasn’t in any of the Matrix movies.

It was also very fucking stupid.

3rd coming of this thread.

I watched it and had not had any of the comics. It was on a movie channel and decided that at least it will have some cool special effects. Well, that was not enough. Even with low expectations this movie was not good.

I imagine in the comics Hellboy was a wisecracking, kooky guy and I am sure it comes off well in those comics. I was reminded of Nightmare on Elmstreet: The later years, when the scaring ran dry and Freddy started cracking jokes. YUCK! Maybe Perlman did not do it for me. Alternatively, maybe it was the fact that I knew it was Perlman that made it unbelievable with the muscles and the forehead and the little Samurai pony tail.

And they are making a second? Hooray for overseas and video sales!

Just because you disagree with them?

Just because you disagree with them?[/quote]

Well, for my part, because it’s annoying and frustrating to see so many really stupid people without an ounce of taste or the capability to recognize something that is really damn fun and really damn good when it’s staring them in the face and/or beating them over the head with the large blunt metaphor of your choice; AND because if I start trusting other people’s judgement - which seems like a reasonable thing to do, and is in fact unavoidable sometimes - I’ll miss some stuff I really don’t want to miss, just because they’re incapable of recognizing pure concentrated Fun.

Hellboy kicked ass, and anybody who disagrees can just shut up.

Just because you disagree with them?[/quote]

Well, for my part, because it’s annoying and frustrating to see so many really stupid people without an ounce of taste or the capability to recognize something that is really damn fun and really damn good when it’s staring them in the face and/or beating them over the head with the large blunt metaphor of your choice; AND because if I start trusting other people’s judgement - which seems like a reasonable thing to do, and is in fact unavoidable sometimes - I’ll miss some stuff I really don’t want to miss, just because they’re incapable of recognizing pure concentrated Fun.

Hellboy kicked ass, and anybody who disagrees can just shut up.[/quote]

Well, for my part… it’s annoying and frustrating to see so many really stupid people without an ounce of taste or the capability to recognize something that is really damn stupid and really damn insipid when it’s staring them in the face and/or beating them over the head with the large blunt metaphor of your choice; AND because if I start trusting other people’s judgement - which seems like a reasonable thing to do, and is in fact unavoidable sometimes - I’ll see some stuff I really don’t want to see, just because they’re incapable of recognizing pure concentrated Shit.

krazykrok,

As long as people aren’t spoiling, there’s not really any harm is reading threads and such. I usually avoid post release threads on movies until after I’ve had a chance to see them (see Million Dollar Baby, House of Daggers, etc). I will check out threads on games I’m interested in prior to buying them tho … unless it’s an adventure or rpg with plot twists and such.

You shouldn’t get so worked up over the antics of the really stupid, I guess :(

I have nearly impeccable taste, and I declare Hellboy to be so-so, but ultimately forgettable, especially to someone who hasn’t masturbated over the comic book.

Hellboy, no. Savage Tales, yes.

I just saw this movie. Not bad. I really liked the way they introduce Hellboy. Going on a first mission with him, and it just turns out that in this mission he’s facing pretty much an enemy that can’t be killed. (Well, he can, but every time you kill one, it comes back as two enemies).

I still don’t really understand why killing them all in the same room finally kills them all. They should all come back as two for each enemy killed, right?

Anyway, other than that, this was a fun romp. I actually rented this movie twice when I had disc Netflix, and I just couldn’t get myself to put the disc in to watch it either time. I just had the impression back then that a comic book movie with okay reviews would be a chore to watch. Now that DC’s movies have taught me that watching mediocre superhero movies isn’t that bad, I could dive in without any trepidation.

This was certainly a lot more fun that Justice League.

Nice! Be sure to see the sequel and the two animated movies as well! So fun!

Yeah! The sequel was a lot of fun, just as good, maybe better than the first. Really wish the movies had been successful enough for a third. I think I read Del Toro wanting to be on board if they made another.

They are making a new Hellboy movie with the sheriff from Stranger Things as Hellboy, which looks to work okay for me. I’m sad Pearlman will no longer be doing the role, but I’ll be happy for more stuff.

He’s looking like a good fit.

Totally, definitely a younger version of the character, hopefully they’ll factor that into the movie. I’d love to see Hellboy in the 70s, for example.

I’d definitely say better, myself. Really leaned into Del Toro’s strengths as a director. Dunno if it was as good a Hellboy movie (I hadn’t read any of the comics prior to seeing both movies), but in terms of pure quality? Better for sure.