Hello America, I hate you sometimes

[url=http://tn3-2.deviantart.com/]

Back on topic. Way I mentally try to remember to convert.

1 Gallon ~ 3.79 Liters
1 Quart ~ 1 Liter

For temperature I always forget if the factor is 5/9 or 9/5 so just convert 212 Far to 100 Celcius. 212 - 32 = 180. 180 * 5/9 = 100. Tada!

The only one I can think of is entree.
In France or the UK, its a starter. In the US, its a main course.

Haha, you’re saying the entree was formerly the starter? Of course in these latter days, we eat salads first in the US – but then I suppose we will get our just desserts.

my wife was tarded. she’s a pilot now.

Yes, there are several. Britain uses I will instead of I shall, and he shall instead of he will (as a rule…but they don’t follow those rules any better than we do). I believe they reverse how who and whom are used also.

I’m not sure I’ve ever noticed a difference in usage of shall/will or who/whom. One thing that often stands out when I read UK magazines is the English treatment of collective nouns. Take sports teams, for example: “Los Angeles is headed for the finals!” versus “Manchester are ready for the Champions League!” Of course, either “team is” or “team are” may be correct depending on context, but the US defaults to the former.

I saw a T-Shirt today that said: A village called, they said their missing their idiot.

I saw a license plate “frame” that said something like:

WE LOVE YOU GRANDMA
YOUR THE BEST

I quit.

I think you may be wrong there.
Certainly I was taught shall, will, will, shall, will, will.

Whom is the object of the sentence.

Hmm, looks like they have spares.

Unless this is a joke, you’re mistaking stylistic choices for semantic differences.

Shall/will gets slightly more complicated, in that the other one in each case is used for the optative (or is it cohortative?) as opposed to the simple indicative future.

eg imagine Cinderella’s fairy godmother:
“You will go to the ball” : simple statement of fact
“You shall go to the ball” : expressing intent, determination.

I’m going to stop now because wikipedia on ‘shall’ has much more than I’ve ever known…

Quite right. What I posted is just a rule of thumb.

I think ‘You shall go to the ball’ is becoming more and more outdated though.

so whats a billion?
1 000 000 000
or
1 000 000 000 000?

A lot.

Yes, I was trying to avoid all of that. But those rules you just mentioned are also reversed in Britain.

I was going by what my Latin teacher taught me, and I have had it confirmed by a few British students, actually. You Irish are probably backwards from the English because you WANT to be ;).

Funnily enough, my Latin teacher taught me what I wrote.

Also, I’m not Irish mate, I’m from just outside of London!!

Your Latin teacher probably taught you better than people are taught in English class then. That is funny though…I learned FAR more about grammar in Latin than I ever did in an English class.

Tell you what, I’ll track down my Latin teacher and you track down yours and we’ll make them fight to the death to settle it!

Grammar’s a funny one though, it does keep changing and I imagine there are very few people who really bother with rules for shall and will anymore.