Hellraiser (HBO)

Didn’t expect this from HBO. David Gordon Green’s got one of those all-over-the-place resumes, too, sort of like Todd Phillips.

EXCLUSIVE : HBO has made a deal to develop a series from the classic horror franchise Hellraiser , with Halloween helmer David Gordon Green set to direct the pilot and several more initial episodes that brings to the small screen for the first time Pinhead, the iconic pincushion-domed villain who heads a group of pasty-faced villains sent from hell, known as the Cenobites.

The idea is to create an elevated continuation and expansion of the well-established Hellraiser mythology. It is by no means a remake, but rather assumes the past mythology to be a given. Expect a revisit from Pinhead, the merciless leader of the Cenobites, the formerly humans-turned-demons that live in an extra-dimensional realm and are activated through a puzzle box called the Lament Configuration. The Cenobites come from hell to harvest human souls and keep balance between good and evil.

I thought Hellraiser was supposed to be about BDSM before anybody really knew what BDSM actually was.

Clive straight snuck that one past us, didn’t he?

This sounds great. The movies are a somewhat guilty pleasure of mine, up until what, number 8 or 9 or something? The more modern one. That one was just straight up terrible.

The first one is legitimately great. After that…

I first read the thread title as Hellblazer, and was like “really? They’re going to take a third stab at John Constantine, but this time on HBO? Psyched.” Hellraiser…ehhhh, I’ll be willing to give it a shot I guess. His take on Halloween was pretty good, and I’m not into the slasher genre generally.

“What’s your pleasure Mr Cotton”

I thought it was clear that pain was pleasure and torture was sexual as far as the Cenobites were concerned. Barker was always a perve though.

When Hellraiser first came out young Mr. Scharmers wasn’t as worldly as he is now. S&M was like this vague concept of people in leather smacking each other with whips in bad 80s comedies, and the way Judas Priest dressed was still pretty cool.

I need to know who is going to play Pinhead, that’s the critical question for me at this point.

This is truth. The second was pretty mediocre. But several of the rest of them were just kind of creepy supernatural noir stories with the cenobites just kind of tacked on. I’d like to see this series as more of that.

Does Clive Barker get any say in this, or any money? They’ve been dragging Hellraiser out over and over again throughout the years, and each one is worse than the last.

I want to see Hellraiser vs Doomguy. It would be a short episode.