Help Choosing a Pre-built Gaming PC Please

My current motherboard and CPU are from 2009, and I bought them second hand from a friend, so I feel really fortunate they’re still kicking.

Rock8man does live over that old Indian graveyard…

That’s an exceptional amount of failures. Are you sure you don’t have some sort of weird voltage issues in your house or something weird like too much humidity or dust? Admittedly, those things usually friy the motherboard, too.

This is not true if you find a good sale. For my refurbed Dell, I literally could not source the parts for anything less than 50% over what I paid for the whole thing, and that comes with the Windows license.

That is a dell though. I wholly endorse using Dell, have had great experiences with their XPS line, my 2008 build still works to this day, with a few ram and video card upgrades. But, getting the parts, and having a local shop build it would be cheaper than cyberpowerpc, and likely better put together.

Really? For me, this has been my most stable PC. Usually in the past, if the motherboard fails, it’s usually time to just get a whole new PC. This is my only PC to last almost 9 years now.

On the power: Yes, one of the most confounding failures for this computer was this old powerstrip I bought from CompUSA back in 2000. I’d been using that same powerstrip forever, and one time my PC would start shutting down when I played graphical games that were too intense. The moment the graphics got heavy, the PC would shutoff. I figured that time that it was the GPU again, or the power supply. But when I took it to Microcenter to get it diagnosed, they said there was nothing wrong with it. I said, did you try playing this game, or this game, or this game? They said yes, we ran those games for hours, left them on, even ran an intense testing app, but there was no problems. That’s when I first thought about the powerstrip I’d been using since 2000. I bought a UPS for the first time and used that instead, and that solved that problem. But it is possible my first power supply failure was a result of that bad powerstrip.

To me, that many failures in a 8-9 year period is exceptional. Admittedly, I haven’t gone that long without upgrading (in whole or in part), but I don’t remember ever having a video card fail (though I tend to upgrade at least once every three years and I have had ones that were DOA), I think I may have had one or two HDD failures in 30+ years of PC gaming, and maybe one power supply.

I really don’t understand the Dell hate in this thread. They’re in the top 3 PC manufacturers for a very good reason. Go to HP if you don’t want to use Dell. They’re right up there too.

I’ve dealt with local computing shops too. They’re overpriced and they don’t know much more than an enthusiast would much of the time. They also often try to put things over on people.

I think it’s a branding issue. It’s too big a brand, with too much diversity, under one name. The car manufacturers do a better job of differentiating their high and low end. The Dell brand encompasses everything from their most budget machines to their higher end XPS line. Acquiring Alienware helped them a bit with that.

Personally, I’d recommend that any gamer should stick with XPS or Alienware when going Dell. There’s too much potential for issues with the lower end stuff from Dell, even if issues just means not having enough room in the case for a video card upgrade.

I don’t hate Dell, I’m just very picky about what goes into a PC of mine, and they’re for folks who aren’t as picky.

Too bad Gateway is a shell of it old self, @BrianRubin could have had a COW box.

Gateway still exists? Jesus. Not that their computers were ever that good, but they replaced Northgate as the premiere “get it cheap” brand back in the day.

http://www.gateway.com/gw/en/US/content/home

hqdefault

@BrianRubin call the number!

This thread is making me wonder if I really need a 2080. I just want to play DMC5 maxed out at 1440p. I guess it depends on how many frames I need.

Given that I haven’t had over 60 Hz refresh since the CRT days, maybe it doesn’t matter.

I’ll likely not get a 2080 – unless they’re affordable – I’ll just see if the 1080s drop in price.

I’m sure a 1070 will be fine for anything released in the next few years at 1440p.

Aren’t 1080s still selling above retail? If they have done anything to make the new ones less desirable for miners, they could end up being cheaper.

Yeah, that’s why I’m waiting to see what happens next week. ;)

And Walmart is one of the top retailers. That doesn’t mean that people want to shop there, let alone enjoy it and it says nothing about the quality of the experience.

The logic of your assumption is dubious at best.

Yeah, no one wants to shop there which is why they are the top retailer. Everyone avoids it! 🙄