Help Choosing a Pre-built Gaming PC Please

IN THE NAME OF THE SPACE EMPEROR YOU HAVE BEEN FOUND GUILTY

/pewpew

Hah, well your post sinches it.

I need more time to do this right, and that includes a new monitor and the right video card to go with it. So unless something else dies in my current rig, I’ll limp along for a few more months with little hard drive space until around Black Friday/Cyber Monday, and hopefully get all of the best parts I can at the same time, which will also likely include one of the new Nvidia 20 series GPUs.

I want to thank you all for putting up with my questions, my going back and forth, and my indecision over this. I’m sure I’ve been annoying as hell, but my PC is tied into so much of my joy and creativity, and I really want to do this right, and you’ve all been a massive help. Seriously, thank you.

Brian,

Maybe a monitor like this one:

Good response, IPS, HDR and not super expensive.

Whew, I’m safe!

A number of us here have the xb271hu and it is great. Not sure on the diff between Xb and xz. But yeah, that’s what I use currently with a 1070 and suggested up thread.

@BrianRubin I get that you like your monitor. But buying a super new mega awesome card to play at 1080 is silly.The obvious solution here is to buy a new one and use BOTH. Play games in glorious 1440 and use the other screen for Twitch or whatever. And if space is an issue (which you indicated it is) can your old one work in portrait and would that help?

You can easily get an awesome machine and a great monitor with the budget you have.

You’re totally right, that’s why I’m waiting.

Do you VR?

Not yet but I wanna.

I mean, this definitely is a reason for upgrading/future-proofing.

Yupperino. It’s taking all of my willpower not to get a new toy now now now, but with these new cards just coming out, it’d be silly to not wait for one of them AND not get a monitor to fully take advantage of it.

We’re living vicariously through you! Thanks for bearing with all of our insufferable “advice!”.

I’m still waiting for next-gen VR. I’m honestly surprised it hasn’t come out yet.

You mentioned over in the new GPU thread that you are looking at monitors now. A few of us have this monitor which ticks most of the boxes for what you’d want.

• 1440p
  • 144 Hz
  • GSync
  • Rotatable stand (nice if you want to play any vertical shmups)

The big feature you’d be missing is HDR. My (brief) reading on the subject is that HDR still isn’t worthwhile on PC monitors so not a major loss.

@BrianRubin what ever monitor you do buy, make sure to drill extra holes in it. Them 144Hz need good airflow.

This looks like a great monitor! Thank you! I’ve added it to my list for now. :)

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/brianrubin/saved/fFqmqs

Alright, so the EVGA 2080s are now in PC Part Picker! Yay!

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/brianrubin/saved/fFqmqs

Nice, but they are OOS most places. ;)

Yeah, hopefully in a month or two I’ll be able to snag one.

Few know that Hz is a leet abbreviation for Holez. So when you read how many Hz a monitor is, that’s how many holes you need to drill in it.

I love this meme never dies.