Help Choosing a Pre-built Gaming PC Please

Can either rotate to use in portrait?

Sadly no.

It certainly could, with running obs/chat in the side margins, and the game in a 2560x1440 window (which would be exactly the size of your current 27" display, for comparison). Personally, I’d probably still keep a secondary around so I didn’t have to choose between those auxiliary windows or the full ultrawide field of view.

Hard to tell from the picture if you have enough room to just swap the 34" for the 27" without moving other stuff around – it might be close. If not, I would look at rotating the secondary display to vertical orientation, or possibly moving it to be above the main display, either wall-mounted or sitting on top of the tower (?) in the background.

I think at this point to make the 2080ti work best, you’re going to need to order a new desk and extend some interior walls.

Hhmmmmm. You’ve given me a lot to chew on.

If they use standard VESA mounting brackets, it would be pretty trivial to swap out the stand they came with.

I had a 3440x1440 for several years and eventually gave it up in favor of dual 1440p monitors. The support for ultra-widescreen never got particularly deep (and is pretty much banned by Blizzard for multiplayer games, and I ended up running stuff like WoW in a 1080p window. Going back to dual monitors game me more flexibility for multitasking and gaming at 16:9 is fine by me.

But I do recommend a 1440, the higher pixel count relieves one of my primary gripes with a 1080p monitor, lack of vertical pixel count and a loss of “headroom.”

Surprised you found that - there’s nothing I play which doesn’t support 3440 x 1440. Skyrim was the most awkward but there’s a tool called Flawless Widescreen for that.

For any games where the setting is the star - Ubigames, Open Worlders - I’d say ultrawide is a great fit. The world is a lot wider than it is tall :) For other games (space games?) I don’t know its a slam dunk.

I would stick with 2 monitors, 1 monitor is not enough no matter the resolution.

Yeah it may be genere, I usually don’t play space sims or 4x where all that screen space would be useful (although I did try Endless Space and bounced off it - lots of empty space there, though). But I’ll admit it cheezed me off when I figured out Blizzard considered ultrawide the equivalent of an unfair advantage and refused to support it.

Holy crap! This is great! So I could put the one 27" 1080p monitor I have on one side, and a new 1440p monitor on the other??

Don’t see why not, with a vertical orientation of the secondary monitor. Double-check all the measurements, of course, and you could look around at other models. I don’t have any experience with that particular one, but there are lots of VESA-compatible monitor stands, desk mounts, and wall mounts available.

So today has been all about monitors. After spending much of the day doing a lot of thinking and searching, I think I figured it out. I’ll get this arm:

Which can hold up to 25lbs, so I can get this monitor which looks really great:

And then set it all up and adjust it to where I need it. Then I’ll get a second clamp for the second, 1080p monitor and set that up.

I like this plan!

Ohhh this Viewsonic I currently have can go portrait. EVEN BETTER.

Are you sure you can handle 32" in your face? Make sure you sit back like 3 feet. When HDR kicks in it can be like a thousand suns going live.

Ohhh, I’m currently two feet back.

Then recline a bit! :D

Jumping into this thread to whinge about my PC drama. My CPU was overheating during the BFV beta so that weekend I tried to redo the thermal past on my i7 4970K. After I put everything back together the computer refused to turn on. The next weekend when I finally had a chance to investigate it appeared I had somehow mangled the pins on the socket effectively ruining the motherboard. Intel’s LGA pins on the socket design sucks, BTW.

Anyway, as luck would have it Newegg was running a deal on a Ryzen 2600 and a nice MSI motherboard. So I ordered that and some DDR4 with plans to salvage and sell my DDR3 RAM and Intel chip. The parts arrived yesterday and I broke down my PC, put together the new CPU and mobo with the cooler and had everything ready to go in the case when I realized it did not fit.

I had totally forgotten my PC case was a mini-ITX model. As such, the ATX mobo I just bought would not fit at all. So last night I had to order a new case as well which will not arrive until Saturday. It’s going to be a rough few days with my very pretty mobo setup waiting on the table until it can finally be put back together.

Sounds like you are gonna have an awesome PC! What GPU?

I’ll still be using my Radeon RX480. RAM is so expensive right now I’ll actually be downgrading from 24GB to 16GB. On the plus side I may make a profit on the DDR3 in the used market seeing current prices compared to what I paid originally!