Help Choosing a Pre-built Gaming PC Please

So, random question. I play a lot of older games as part of my blog work. Games that only do 640x480 or 800x600, or some even go as high as 1080p. Would these games still look/work okay on that 4K monitor I have in mind?

Untitled-1

I dunno man, they work fine on the 27 inch I currently have. I just wanna be sure.

That was my experience trying to play Diablo II on a modern monitor. It’s either a postage stamp sized window or a blown up pixellated hot mess.

Alright, I’ll have to find a way to make it work then. Thankfully DOSBOX windows can be resized, and I’ll likely make heavy use of DXWnd.

D2LOD at least has a high res mod for older versions. Though using it you can see past AI aggro range.

I’ll wait for Blizzard to release a remastered edition of D2 using latest engine. That’s gotta happen at some point, right?

I’d love to believe that was possible, but the underlying mechanics are so different, I find it hard to believe that this can be achieved.

You know, I was just saying to @Oscuros yesterday how cool it would have been for them to release a Diablo Ultimate Battlechest with D1-D3 collection on Switch. I’m not interested in spending 60 bucks to play D3 on Switch, but I’d probably do so for D2

I remember $32-$35 a meg was the bargain, cash-price at computer expos.

I’m going to pop in here because @Scotch_Lufkin made a decent recommendation that if I buck my current trend this year (updating my gaming laptop every 3 years,) I could go with a gaming PC instead and possibly add a console this year for RDR2.

I don’t need the latest GPU but had been looking at a GTX1080 inspired one. That should put be a bit cheaper on a PC system these days, right (with newer cards announced not long ago)? Is there a decent pre-built to be recommended these days?

Depending on your budget, you could still get a 1080gtx PC with crazy specs, all pre-build, for $1200-1400.

In fact, looking on Amazon there is this guy:

You could grab this and a PS4 Pro and still have money left, thought it’s the higher end of your budget. An equivalent laptop would run you $1900 and have half the size SSD and a slower CPU, skimming around. I always recommend PC for gamers, more bang for your buck, though of course, not very mobile. I’ll sacrifice mobility for power though all day, but I have an office I set up to game in, so that’s not going to work for everyone, I realize.

You can hook this gaming PC up to your TV, but if you want a monitor, don’t forget to include that in your budget. Same with a decent keyboard/mouse, as needed.

The mobility is a kinda/sorta thing anyway. Most of the gaming laptops are heavy, you don’t want to tow them around far. And if they have decent mobile video GPUs, they also have HUGE power requirements and both eat through battery in short order and also have power bricks that look like small UPS vans in size. Kidding, but not really.

But, I can game on the kitchen table, on the coffee table, or upstairs in my home office. I’ve occasionally taken my gaming rig with me on a business trip, but unless you have a small 15.6" system or smaller, that is a royal pain to do. The term, “desktop replacement,” is more akin to what they are. Just easier to move around.

You certainly got me thinking outside of my box, Scott. Mostly because I’m late to the game to pick up VR. A desktop would allow the power to do that much more easily than a laptop.

The cost/visual ratio is skewed pretty heavily toward consoles now IF you already have sunk the cost on a TV, especially if you’re trying to 4K game, because the consoles sort of fake-out 4K, but that option isn’t at all available for PC.

In other words, consoles “simulate” 4K but PCs can actually do it. But to get that 4K on PC you’re likely to be playing on a much less visually accurate and impactful crappy monitor vs the medium to high end TVs today, and are also going to have to pay several times the cost of the console to do it. And to do 4K and “real” HDR on PC, right now, today, 2018, more or less requires you to hook up the PC to your TV since “real” HDR monitors are so rare and expensive. There are monitors which are “compatible” with HDR10 but are still often less than 400 nits of peak brightness, which… isn’t really HDR.

We’re in this, to me, crazy divergence between PC and Console thanks to HDR that hardly anyone talks about. Probably because they don’t know or can’t tell the difference.

Even if you’re talking about buying a TV though, you’re still looking at $1400-2000 for a TV/Console setup with impactful HDR vs. $1500 --> ? for modern, new, gaming PC hardware alone.

Of course if all you play are strategy games, none of this matters.

Scratch everything I said guys, I’m getting this PC:

Trekkies looking to purchase the PC starship will find it starting for around $2,180, but it is only available in China. Lenovo has yet to comment whether or not the Titanium Entperise will be traveling to any other countries

Honestly though i 100% support you getting this. You were made for this! Space Game guy with space ship PC! You can find a way! That’s also my favorite style of Trek ship.

Yeah, I’m glad they picked the best Enterprise.

You simply must find a way to snag one of these!

Well, I ordered that lovely Asus 27" monitor and three Amazon monitor arms!

OMG IT’S FINALLY HAPPENING!