Help Choosing a Pre-built Gaming PC Please

But…they look great on the original hardware.

At 480p?

I played BotW at 1440p, 60fps.

Rainmeter running on a transparent case panel. That’s kinda awesome.

Bully for you, I guess?

Don’t think he was (completely) bragging, just demonstrating the potential advantage of emulating a Wii on a sufficiently powered PC vs. using the original hardware.

Your post is the first I’ve heard of it. It does indeed look cool though.
(PC Gamer article.)

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/EmptyUnacceptableCaracal-mobile.mp4

I’m seriously considering the 9900k for PS3 and WiiU emulation.

The Wii U, in this case. It looks really just dramatically better.

Since I don’t really do emulation, I’m happy with my pick.

Anyone still following this thread commenting on value hasn’t been paying attention.

I played through Breath of the Wild emulated and it was a fantastic experience. Kind of amazing how well the graphic experience scaled to higher resolutions. Very pretty game when everything is razor sharp.

Single thread performance is still king, doubly so if you like emulation, modded minecraft, etc. Even the cheapest modern CPUs have more than enough cores for games. If you are not playing such CPU constrained games (though with a 2080ti everything will be CPU bound) and are encoding videos then I can see the value in AMD.

Unless price is no object, I would buy a 2700x over an i9-9900k for sure. The i7-9700k is a much more attractive CPU from a price/performance perspective specifically for gaming.

To be fair, the Aorus Gaming 5 board I have has the same number of USB connections with tweaks: 2 standard USB 3.0 ports (blue), one USB 3.1 Gen2 port (red), two USB 3.0 ports with adjustable voltage (yellow), one USB C, and two USB 2.0 (why?). And yes, the PS2 port does indeed work with the old IBM keyboards. It had been 10 years since I bought new hardware other than drives and video cards and I was surprised to see that much variety.

USB2 ports are typically for your mouse and keyboard. They figure everybody has those, so why pay the extra $0.03 to make those two ports USB3?

My Gigabyte Z370M D3H motherboard has no USB2 in the back panel, only 2 headers on the motherboard which I am not using.

On the bright side, I just noticed another BIOS update on the website, for the 9th gen CPUs. Using the windows app to update the BIOS I also changed the default image when the BIOS loads to a picture of my cat.

Minor update on myself but I got my pre-built NZXT BLD PC in and it’s been a great experience end to end. They charge MSRP for all parts and have a flat labor fee for the build itself which was a huge plus for me. My PC ended up being about $400-500 cheaper than a similarly specced Alienware / Digital Storm / Origin PCs so pretty happy overall so far.

I said - let me play Odyssey for $1500, and they suggested a system pretty much identical to mine with the performance I get. I guess the upgrade can wait :)

I have ordered one with a 9900 so fingers crossed :)

Wow - I didn’t realize Odyssey would be so demanding on a 1070

Actually you’re right. I get that frame rate at 3440 x 1440, not at 1080. They seem to be ‘conservative.’