Help Choosing a Pre-built Gaming PC Please

K, I got it, I heard the sound come on for a second, so, in Precision, I just started one fan. Heard the sound.

Started a second fan, heard the sound.

It’s the damned fan starting up on the card. Any fan.

I mentioned the fans 3 days ago, look up!

hah, the fans are turning on and off just fine. It just makes that sound when they spin up. I guess that’s normal?

Here’s the sound, at about 51 seconds.

BTW, thought y’all might like to see what it looks like inside. If I didn’t know any better, I’d say the video card was sagging.

It probably is sagging a little, nothing to be worried about I am sure.

That’s why they now make GPU support brackets! Heh.

Holy Jehoshaphat.

There’s a fair amount of chatter about built in backplates and lack of and that sort of thing too because of it. The cards are big and sometimes heavy.

Seems like an argument for putting the case on its side and letting the cards stand vertically. Like we did in olden times.

No room for that, sadly.

It’s what the horizontal kits are for too.

I think you can configure a minimum fan speed. Might be the easiest solution if you don’t want to return the card or keep debugging. Have you Googled to see if it’s a known issue?

The opposite. Precision has a setting to automatically have all three fans running called Automatic Control, so now all three fans are running, the sound is gone, and the thing is running even cooler than before, 38c on idle.

Did you wind up bucking your current trend this year, @skipper?

I did not. Analysis paralysis and all that. I’m sitting through holiday season and project season (work schedule after new year) without RDR. Which makes avoiding all the RDR threads that much harder.

I’ll probably check things in January again.

So is it really the case that CPU is close to irrelevant for modern gaming systems?

I have the choice of an 8700k or, for $300 more, a 9900k (plus obviously the Z390 motherboard as opposed to Z370).

But i’m hearing from people the difference is and will remain negligible, and is almost certainly not worth it, as modern gaming is all about GPU.

All other aspects of the computer are the same - only difference is CPU and motherboard as mentioned.

Is it true?

Yup. You’d have to engineer a very specific benchmark to even tell the difference between a 8700k and a 9900k. Put that $300 bucks into a better GPU or my recommendation, a better monitor. Upgrade to a 27 inch 144hz IPS 1440p display. Much bigger difference that you’ll notice right away!

New PC acquired. 8700k CPU, 2070 GPU, 16 GB RAM. 1 TB SSD.

FPSs are great for most things, nearly double for Battlefield 5 over the prior computer, same settings. 3DMark went from better than 38% to better than 85%, with FPS climbing from mid 20s to mid 50s.

Yet for Total War: Warhammer 2, I get FPSs in the 30s in big battles, same as with the old computer. Bizarre.

I don’t get it. Why would this be?

Maybe this discussion I found on the TWW boards will help you figure things out:

That was sort of helpful.

But my primary confusion is more why I would get comparable framerates (at least at times) on an i7-8700 with a RTX 2070 as I do on my old 3570k with a 1060.

And I’m not imagining it -I’ve literally been testing the game both computers, with all other factors being the same (or as close to the same as I can make it - in both the game is installed on an SDD, and it has the same amount of RAM in each computer).

It’s making me wonder - is this just Total War: Warhammer 2 on any computer, or is there something wrong or weak with my new setup?