Help Choosing a Pre-built Gaming PC Please

Recent hardware trouble means I’m unfortunately on the lookout for a new PC. Probably something bare bones to put my existing GPU and SSDs in. I don’t want to build one but I would reconsider if it’s the only way to keep the cost down. Years ago Dell had a fantastic desktop model they sold for cheap in a minimal configuration, had reasonable cooling, and could be upgraded into a monster. Is there any model like that in 2019?

It is the Holiday Season. Deals are… everywhere. Have you decided on AMD or Intel or anything like that or just… something new that won’t break the bank?

Flexible with the exception of:

1. Space enough for one GPU of any size GPU including a 1080Ti.
  2. If the power supply can’t handle a big GPU that’s fine as long the case fits a standard power supply so I can swap my old one into it.
  3. At least 8 cores. Either AMD or Intel is fine.
  4. Can potentially be upgraded to 64GB of ram (I think any modern system can do this though.)

I may be willing to spend more on the CPU if a 12 core AMD were reasonably priced or whatever, as I am unlikely to upgrade whatever I get.

I’ve done some browsing and the toughest issue seems to be that affordable desktops rarely have space for a big video card.

My sister recently picked up an Alienware, their older square design not the fancy round looking one they just released, and to fit the 1080ti in it her guy just took out the harddrive cage and the fan in front of it which is… fine. It’s not alarming when that happens. A number cases are designed for that. I’ll poke around and see if anyone has a current deal going.

Desktops deals are not as bragged about as laptops, but they’re still there.

Speak of the devil, here is an example:

https://deals.dell.com/en-us/productdetail/3pp6?prg=1&VEN1=12578053-4485850-0ffbc75a1c6111eab0e9a644d253a3840INT&AID=4485850&cjevent=1018ecb01c6111ea805d00f40a1c0e0c&dgc=CJ&DGSeg=DHS&cid=198375&lid=45846&acd=12309198375458460&VEN3=110705119656068923

Alienware Aurora R8 Desktop: i7-9700,16GB DDR4, 256GB NVMe SSD, 2TB HDD, RTX 2070 8GB, 850W PSU, Win 10 Home - $1,129.99 + Free Shipping @ Dell

I hadn’t considered simply pricing the system with a GPU but planning on selling it on ebay (so I can use my own 1080T as I need 11 gigs of memory specifically for some non gaming applications.) That opens up more options like this…

Yeah if they are going to cut corners and the sub 1k systems will, it’s usually the video card and the PSU, sometimes that SSD. I still think it’s a rip they even send out systems with 256GB when 512GB is so cheap but hey, someone out there makes a lot making these decisions.

If you need cheaper I can keep my eye out. I know the 5700XT systems get lower than that. The Ryzens in general can too.

With deals like these you can try removing things you don’t want but often the savings are tied to the build itself… doesn’t hurt to try.

I’m going to move over my own SSD and GPU so the ideal system is like that Alienware tower but somehow in a deal where it has integrated graphics and a 1 Gigabyte moving-disk drive, though that seems unlikely. (It used to happen in the Dell Refurbished section, stuff like that.)

Dunno if you’ve moved on from the thought of a Dell (and by that I mean a Dell branded box, not an Alienware) but the Dell systems nowadays use strange non-standard parts, so I’m sure when @stusser pops his head in here he will give an anti-recommendation to Dell.

As for buying a system and reselling the video card - if you haven’t used them recently (or ever) be careful trying to sell something valuable on eBay. They are incredibly pro-buyer now, and I have read story after story of someone selling an item on eBay and having the buyer complain/reverse the transaction/send back a rock in a box - totally screwing the seller. I would think you’d have better luck trying to sell it here!

How do you feel about upgrading the PSU. Without the discrete GPU, the PSU is likely going to be under-powered.

No problem upgrading the PSU, I actually have both my current PSU and an extra one that I replaced, when I thought it was the problem, both large enough for any video card.

The prices on the Best Buy CyberPowerPC models are pretty good and they look roomy inside. Anyone tried doing some upgrades to those?

Unfortunately I have no experience with them.

I have an Alienware laptop and my sister just bought an Alienware Desktop in November. That’s why I know her longer card required the harddrive cage and one fan removed to fit it, but it fit.

Having said that, they look pretty standard in terms of shape.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gaming-desktop-amd-ryzen-7-3700x-16gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-5700-2tb-hdd-240gb-ssd-black/6362433.p?ref=8575135&loc=f57c4abc1c7911eabcd032fabf77f97d0INT&acampID=f57c4abc1c7911eabcd032fabf77f97d0INT&skuId=6362433

I mean that case… it’s a box.

This looks pretty standard too.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-omen-obelisk-intel-core-i7-9700-16gb-memory-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1660-ti-1tb-hard-drive-256gb-ssd-shadow-black-front-bezel-dark-chrome-logo/6349466.p?skuId=6349466

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gaming-desktop-amd-ryzen-5-3600-8gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-580-2tb-hdd-240gb-ssd-black/6362427.p?skuId=6362427

I mean wow when I was a kid these things were like 2 grand and unable to play a new game 6 months out.

That last one is what caught my interest. And for that price I’d be good with 6 cores.

I’m not in a immediate rush, my system still works, it’s just been unreliable and I feel like I’ve spent more than enough time trying to resolve it.

Pushing aside any kind of… new hardware coming out. You’re in peak holiday season. This is a good time to find cheap and quality systems. I mean these things show up every once in awhile but right now there are just a lot of them.

I also think BestBuy stopped doing their restock BS awhile ago so maybe not the worst route to go.

Hey guys, there’s no “random tech questions” thread I could find, so I thought I’d use this one.

First, is putting a desktop PC to sleep safe? Several friends told me I should put it to sleep rather than letting it run 24/7 as I was doing. It just feels weird to do it, as the PC makes noises I don’t like (which are probably normal I just don’t hear them often).

Second, I just remembered the other day that there’s a dust filter on my case underneath the power supply. I pulled it out today expecting it to be filthy, but there was barely anything on it. This is…good, right?

Thanks y’all!

What do you mean it makes noises? It should be functionally off, with only a small amount of power keeping the RAM refreshed. That’s S3 sleep.

If the fans are still running then you have S1 sleep and that is not what you want.

Or it could be Hibernating which is something else. Much slower resume times, but it’s fully off.

And yes, less dust is better, unless it’s so useless as to let all the dust through of course.

Nonono it makes no sounds when it’s sleeping, it’s just when it wakes up it makes noises that are like clicking and whirring and such.

Now that I think of it it’s similar to the sounds it makes when it’s starting up, I think. I never said I was being rational.

You should box up that pc and send it to me for testing. I can even tell you the diagnosis ahead of time - it’s completely busted.

No worries though, I will dispose of it for you safely.

Haha. :)

Anyway, I always put all my PCs to sleep. Because money.

About six years ago I hooked my PC up to a kill-a-watt. It drew 100w at idle and 300w in a 3D game. I’m sure it’s more now.

Well I too am putting it to sleep because money. I want it to last as long as possible before something breaks. ;)

Ugh, so now I hear a slight rattling in my PC. Best I can surmise it’s my CPU cooler fan. Ugh.