Help Choosing a Pre-built Gaming PC Please

New to me too. How do you know @Scott123’s PSU isn’t efficient?

OH wow!

I am making an ASSUMPTION. :)

I don’t think a few years ago they were pushing PSU efficiency ratings as much as they do now.

I’d highly suggest anyone getting a new PSU to go GOLD at least.

Old link I’ve kept, but still VERY informative.

I don’t know how old his system is, but I built mine over 6 years ago and have a gold rated Seasonic in there (which is inaudible and rock solid). If I were building a new system, it would take a lot to convince me to get a different brand.

Good choice! :D

@Misguided well it’s not a bad assumption, since my PSU was a combo with the case… nine years ago! It was a decent case and PSU at the time - the Antec Sonata. Though now out of date.

I doubt you’ll be happy running games on that slow HDD, though it would be perfectly fine for media files and such.

I would suggest getting a smaller NVME SSD as the boot/primary drive, plus a larger SATA SSD as a games/secondary drive. SATA drives cost less per GB than NVME drives, and the performance difference between NVME and SATA is inconsequential for gaming anyway.

Something like this and this. Cheaper than Lloyd’s spec, with larger overall capacity.

EDIT: If you don’t mind a little DIY, you could just buy the pre-built with a single NVME drive and add the SATA drive yourself. Additional drives are quick and easy to install, and you wouldn’t have to pay boutique prices for it.

I dig it. I think I’m narrowing in on a config I can get behind.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/brianrubin/saved/73K4qs

I use that exact 2TB ssd for my games drive, it has been fantastic so far.

Looks good overall, but get that POS 1080ti out of there, and wait for the 1100 series cards!

Yeah, that’s kind of a placeholder for the time being. I’m not gonna rush into anything yet, I’ve decided.

Based on the information we have gathered, we think the GTX 1180, whenever it shows up, will be running GDDR6 memory, and that’s backed up by a PCB using GDDR6 spotted by a reddit commenter. Now, we’re not sure if this points to the Turing-backed GTX 1180 or to a Tesla card, but it does suggest that the memory on the next generation of GPUs will be much more powerful.

Running at 200 watts and manufactured with a new 12nm process, the GTX 1180 will pack 3,584 CUDA cores, 224 TMUs (texture mapping units), 16GB of GDDR6 VRAM and a rated Floating Point 32 (FP32) performance of a whopping 13 Teraflops.

Compared to 2016’s GTX 1080, with its 2,560 CUDA cores, 160 TMUs, 8GB of GDDR5 VRAM and 8.7 teraflops of FP32 performance, you’re looking at massive performance gains.

Now the rumors are saying it’s going to be called the 2080!

Which isn’t really interesting news, now that I think about it. Forget I said anything.

Changed most of my system a couple of days ago. Got a placeholder CPU while waiting for the next gen i7 or i9. Also estimated costs for my entire system, though most of it was gifted from workplace.

CPU: Intel 8th gen i5-8400 175$
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z370M D3H 139$
Ram: G.SKILL 16GB(2x8) DDR4 3200MHz F4-3200C16D-16GTZB 199$
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080TI 11GB GV-N108TAORUSX W-11GD ~1200$
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M2 NVME MZ-V7E500BW 175$
HDD1: WD Black 3TB WD3003FZEX ~200$
HDD2: WD Red 4TB WD40EFRX 135$
PSU: Antec HCG-620M 80+ Bronze Modular 89$
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C 130$
Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite 80$
Keyboard: Corsair K70 170$
Speakers: Mackie CR3 100$
Monitor: Asus MG279Q 27" IPS 144Hz ~880$
Headphones: Sennheiser RS 170 340$

Total: Estimated 4k USD plus some VAT here and there I didn’t calculate.
And yes, hardware prices are ridiculous over here.

Holy geez you ain’t kidding.

Unless you have a boot drive that is non-UEFI formatted and another drive that is (regardless of whether it’s bootable or not). Makes your system puke every time there’s an overnight update & reboot. MS didn’t even have a fix for this short of reformatting & copying back your stuff until recently.

I’ve got a couple of 60Hz 32" Asus IPS panels and am very happy with them.

If you’re looking for case suggestions, this one looks pretty cool :)

I’m…um…yeah, I’m good…

I highly recommend the Alienware Aurora line. I adore mine. It’s no-nonsense, easy, plop it on the desk and play fantastic looking games awesome. Make sure it’s at least a GTX1070 and use all that you saved to buy a GSync monitor.

I looked at Alienware and wasn’t keen on them not even specifying some equipment they use. I couldn’t find which motherboard they used, for example, unless I just seriously missed it somehow.