Help enabling Toshiba A65 laptop wireless adapter

I’m stumped. My GF has this laptop, on the Atheros chipset, and I can’t get it to think that the wireless is turned on. It’s enabled in Device Manager, and there’s a little setting in device manager for Radio On/Off that is set to On. However, when I look at it with various utilities (Atheros, Toshiba, and Windows) everything says that the radio is hardware disabled. There’s also a function key, f8, that has a little wireless symbol on it, but fn-f8 does nothing, and it is the only one not listed in the user’s guide.

The thing is there, it shows up as usable in device manager, the laptop has a sticker for it, and all the software was loaded, but damned if I can get it to talk. I’ve checked power settings, BIOS settings, and software settings.

Does anyone have a Toshiba laptop with working wireless out there? Please?

H.

I ran into a very similar problem with a Toshiba Satellite.

As it turned out, the Satellite has a little button you have to press to turn on the radio. I mean, a physical button on the case itself, not a software button.

I ran into a very similar problem with a Toshiba Satellite.

As it turned out, the Satellite has a little button you have to press to turn on the radio. I mean, a physical button on the case itself, not a software button.[/quote]

What, you mean the black button on the black background labelled in black, that isn’t referred to in any documentation or any Google hit?

:roll: Me = dumbass

That fixed it, many thanks. Now I’ve got to teach her how to switch to coffee shop mode when she’s out and about.

H.

Yes, that button. :lol:

You’re not a dumbass. I’ve seen this feature before, on other laptops, and the labeling is often obscure – but it’s usually freaking legible, unlike the Toshiba.