Help find me an RPG from the mid 80s

This will be tricky. I remember vaguely an RPG-type of fantasy game from the mid 80s or early 90s. It could be either on the Commodore 64 or Amiga 500 (since those we had at home).

It was a top down 2D game, no scrolling. You went from room to room (or cave-like to cave). There were potions involved, and I remember the game to be colourful. You had an inventory. You were controlling a little wizard or something, maybe a warrior, nothing to fancy. I liked the music.

It is all very vague, but I just can’t find it. I would like to revisit it, I think you went from cave-like areas to cave-likes. It had a magical feeling. The colors of my doodle are not right…

I am 100% sure I will recognize it when I see it!

maybe something like this, some sort of well, exits on different part of the screen

grafik

Could you split your party up? Was there even a party involved?

not party based, you controlled a single character. It wasn’t a heavy RPG … and not much text as I remember.

It looks like Castle Wolfenstein. Was there a fantasy version of it? I would think I’d have played it if there was.

it had better graphics than Castle Wolfenstein … lots of details. I wish I knew if it was on C64 or Amiga… I think it was Amiga because C64 games weren’t nice enough looking.

Temple of Apshai on C64?

no, it was more colorful, not so blocky. It makes me believe it was on the Amiga 500…

There is an Amiga port by Westwood Studios, but I can’t find screenshots of it. 1985 for that one.

Caverns of Khafka?
https://www.c64-wiki.com/wiki/Caverns_of_Khafka

unfortunately not. I checked some Ultima screenshots, but Ultima is way to sophisticated, complex. But the caverns are the right direction, more caverns than squared dungeons.

Hmmm… were any of the D&D games overhead view like that on Amiga? I’d think at least one of them was…

?

nothing blu-ish … warmer colors.

Have you had a look through CRPG Addict? He’s up to 1993, so maybe it’s in one of the titles he has tackled?

thanks, yes, that’s a great resource. I will check…

Paladin?

Also: here’s the RPG genre search on LemonAmiga.

Fairy Tale Adventure

Questron II? Realms of Darkness?

skipping through 26 pages of adventure games for the Amiga… some really funny names in the list:

Keef the Thief: A Boy and His Lockpick