Help find me an RPG from the mid 80s

Welcome To Times of Lore
It is morning.
Disk Read Write Error!

– modern poetry, approx 1988, Amiga.

About the C64 specifically, I had troubles finding points of reference online.

Extracted from this page, here is what emulator renderings and a capture of the same screen on the real thing look like (of course, dependent on monitor settings, but it gives an idea of the gap in vibrancy which I suspected but didn’t see until recently).

c64-palette-comparison_orbital-impaler
and the real thing

Ohhh, wow, look at the difference!

That is fascinating! I’ve played old games with emulators and thought to myself “man, 14-year-old me thought this game looked so amazing, what was he thinking?!” and seeing all these comparisons I realize I owe 14-year-old me an apology. He’s not getting one though, because he was a jerk.

Seriously though, I never realized how much difference the technology of the CRT made in softening the edges and brightening the palette of 8-bit and 16-bit art in games. We have such amazing art in games these days, with talented artists who create beautiful work using incredible tools, but to think what the programmers and artists of that era were doing with such a limited scope and how they incorporated those limitations into the artwork to actually make it better…much respect.

gah, now I want to know it even more which game I played.

Hi!
I am interested in this topic since I am looking for the same game you are asking here and I cannot remember more that this. Were you able to find out the name of the game??

Hope you can help me!
Thanks! :)

Does they are the same video game?

I remember years ago telling someone how visually stunning Jet Set Willy was for its time (this was years after I played it) and especially going on about characters being multicolored. Of course, that was all in my mind. I guess my 14-year-old brain made it to be much more than it was.

Quite possibly this story never happened as well…

Welcome to our community.

Thanks!

Was the game identified successfully? I can’t tell.

no, haven’t seen anything that reminded me of the game… I think it was a C64 game, because I came home from school and put it on the big TV… instead of the Amiga 500 on a monitor.

It had potions, nice music, caves etc…

Well the mystery remains unsolved.

Skyrim?

Maybe Wizard’s Lair?

almost, but the character sprite does not look right. It was less chunky and not top down looking. And less action…

grafik

I give up.

Spell of Destruction?

Did it have an archer in it?
Or could you pick up a bow and arrow? (I’m pretty sure the “icon” was white)