Help me defend Video games in VT

Well it depends doesn’t it? As Toms front piece article mentions, EA having direct links to Arms companies and promoting business with them (to kids playing games!) is in many peoples eyes stepping way over the line of where ‘entertainment’ and taste/moral concern should meet.

This isn’t a anti-game rant or concern, this is an anti-bad thing concern. It’s neither good for games or kids.

Why should a game publisher get to behave or promote the same kind of business an actual arms seller does and not get called out on it? Have you met arms sellers before (i have), do you know exactly what it is they do in the world and where there concerns lay?

I’ll give you a clue, it has nothing to do with being concerned about innocent people getting killed (be it in a school in america or a school in the middle east). It’s all about the profit they can make from making sure these things happen more often. EA became an arms seller, they deserve to get a kicking for it (and the idiot behind the ‘idea’ fired).

I’m sorry but as a gamer, i’d be with your uncle on this particular debate. There is far too much complacency amongst gamers and game publishers and devs about all this. It’s not just a game, not all the time and not at the level of graphical and audio fidelity we can simulate things, and certainly not at the business end when games fund actual weapon manufacturers, or get funded by them to carry on making ultra-violence ‘games’ for all our kids to grow up playing.

That’s all i’ll say on the subject here (as i have the other threads also for the finer details) and give those links if you want to see both sides: