Help me find a D&D-like turn-based game!

That does look good! Disciples of Steel looks awesome too, but for some reason 1st person dungeon crawling makes me want to vomit. I will try and see if I can get past it, lol.

You may. But since it doesn’t have turn-based combat, it’s probably a deal-breaker for OP, who specifically excluded “pausables like Baldur’s Gate…” Otherwise I would’ve said NWN 2:MotB was a must-play. Actually, I still say that!

Hasn’t this been in Indie Dev Hell for a reaaaally long time now? I mean, if they’re finally approaching release - great! But I think I first heard about AoD several years ago, so I gave up holding my breath quite a while ago.

Yeah, I’m not sure how long they’ve been at it, but it’s probably going on 10 years, if not more. Anyway, they were aiming for an october release, which is obviously too late now, but I don’t think there’s any doubt that they’re getting very close.

Yep, I got a little excited when they released a combat demo at one point, but then realized how long it took to get even that small bit out to the public…so I placed it back into my “wait for later development” list. Not many games make it out of there alive…

No love for Legend of Grimrock?

The combat is so movement-based that I wouldn’t consider it part of this genre. I liked it well enough for the exploration and puzzles, but I really wish the combat was done better.

I just picked up Avadon 2 and it’s lots of fun as long as you don’t need cutting edge graphics.
It seems to be better paced than the first game so far, and I’m liking the new class Tinkermage, kind of a steampunk summoner.

It’s lighter fare than a lot of what’s been mentioned already, but I’m obliged to mention my own Monsters’ Den Chronicles. It might work for a quick fix.

Ha! I played it back when you made an earlier plug! I had a lot of fun with it…though the combat got tedious after a while. To be fair, that’s probably more my fault for having played too much Dragon Age Legends beforehand, which was very similar combat-wise.

It’s funny how that worked out. The previous Dragon Age game that I designed was the one that had a completely different, hex-based combat system.

BlackGuards recently released on Steam as an early access might be worth a look.

Yep, already on my radar! Unfortunately, with 2 kids I don’t have enough of a gaming budget to take chances with early access games. :(

Maybe someone here will buy it and post impressions. Relying on Steam forum impressions is like relying on a bunch of toddlers just learning how to communicate.

That looks excellent, I going to keep my eye on it see if it plays as good as it sounds.

Does anyone have the copy protection manual for Disciples of steel? Is the only thing I’m missing!

thanks!

The Game Manual is the manual that is required for satisfying the copy protection. It is available at Abandonia under the ‘Extras’ section for the dedicated Disciples of Steel page but if it ever becomes difficult to find, for anyone that ever reads this, PM me. I have the game executable, 1.013 patch and manual in a google drive folder and will keep and treasure and share it forever and ever and ever.

Since you asked for a D&D like turn-based game, you probably would have a look at the current running Kickstarter campaign for “Realms Beyond: Ashes of the Fallen”. Their combat and character system based on the D&D 3.5e.

Didn’t that one has some less than pleasant connections with the Alt Right?

Currently Low Magic is in alpha. I bought it, but I am waiting until a bit more polish.

any 1 got the disciples of steel patch 1.013 if so please email me at [email protected]

I do, together will full instructions on how to properly install and patch Disciples of Steel. The order matters! PM incoming . . .