Help me find a music cue!

Okay, like twelve years ago or so, I played a Half-Life 2 mod that replaced the game’s soundtrack with pieces of Hans Zimmer’s music. And it was fantastic, and really heightened the tension and drama. But at two key points, one music cue showed up that I loved but could not track down. I searched and searched at the time, but couldn’t find it, and eventually gave up.

And then about half an hour ago, a friend texted me out of the blue about the track Beautiful Lie from Batman v Superman, which I hadn’t watched. And at 1:10 into the cue, THAT GODDAMN MELODY showed up. Except here it’s arranged for piano instead of strings and wordless vocals.

Can anyone help me figure out where this was used before by Zimmer? It had to be from 2008 or prior.

It rung a bell for me, and I’m not sure it’s quite the same, but it sounds similar to Ludovico Einaudi’s ‘The Tower’ from Nightbook. Of course, this could in turn be from other, older, classical music but it’s all I got! :)

https://youtu.be/nDwCu2Vn8kU

It’s a very good album by the way so definitely check it out!

Ah, that’s from 11 years ago so something else obviously came before it!

Ack which part of that? There’s a 4 note doo doo deen deen that repeats in there as well as a much longer two note at a time descent down a scale that’s happening there.

Here at about 3 minutes in you have the descent:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYe4dSunbs8

Sorry I can’t describe music.

I opened up WhoSampled

Which gives you a lot of tracks to go through and an interface to do it which isn’t completely terrible. And it tends to focus on the tracks which have nice cues to sample from.

It’s the whole melody from 1:10 to 1:30. I feel like there may be one or two notes changed at the very end, but otherwise it was the whole thing. And I believe the same harmonies, too. Tempo was slightly faster, and the melody was played with strings, with maybe a fuzzy distorted bass down below?

Unfortunately the song above doesn’t show up on whosampled or else you could see which soundtrack JunkieXL sampled from. :(

I feel like it’s probably a case of Zimmer reusing his own idea rather than it having been sampled from someone else. I’m pretty sure all the music in that mod was taken from the soundtracks he worked on.

Do you have a link to the mod?

Here’s a page on the mod, but I can’t seem to find a version to download.

From here:
https://crappygames.miraheze.org/wiki/FakeFactory's_Cinematic_Mod

" The new music is ripped directly from the Dark Knight trilogy soundtrack by Hans Zimmer."

I would suggest you give the Batman Begins soundtrack a listen. I had a number of false starts there because the key and phrasing is so similar all across that soundtrack. Maybe something will trigger for you.

You maybe thinking of Tears of the Sun:

Around 3:30 it´s used for the first time, but the theme repeats later, specially around 6:15

And there we go! Thank you! That is absolutely it. A worthy post, eight years in the making.