Help me pick a laptop

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the Dell XPS gamer’s laptop and the 9100 laptop? They look slightly different, but they seem to have most of the same options. Do both have the upgradeable video card setups?

All the differences are cosmetic, except on the XPS you can pick slightly better CPUs and video cards.

Unless you want to pay ~400 for a better looking case, no point. Just customize the 9100 to what you want.

I still don’t understand why people who have budgets buy laptops for gaming. Aren’t most upgrades basically laptop-replacements? I like the fact that I can spend less keeping my desktop machine up-to-date. I figure, get a PDA or an older/cheaper laptop for your mobile stuff, and maintain your larger machine for the gaming. Maybe it’s just me, I see lots of people doing this lately.

Anyone looking to buy from dell - click on the dell link on the qt3 main page (all money goes to the guys, not me).

I get these two days before they are active, if you are really looking before thursday when they can be posted let me know.

Offer Valid: 10/14/04 8:00am CST through 10/14/04 8:00pm CST

OFFER AVAILABLE ONLINE ONLY: Save 40% on select Dimension™ desktop purchases $2499 or more (before tax)! May not be combinable with dollars off, percentage off and select other promotions. Only one coupon may be applied per cart at checkout.

Enter coupon code at checkout to receive this offer.
Coupon Code: 51S7S776G77Q3H

The Home & Home Office site and offers contained herein valid only for end users and not for resellers and/or online auctions. Specifications, availability and terms of offers may change without notice. Taxes, fees and shipping charges extra, and vary. U.S. Dell Home Systems Co. new purchases online only. Purchase limit of 5 systems per order, but coupon discount applies to only 1 system per cart. Dell cannot be responsible for pricing or other errors, and reserves the right to cancel orders arising from such errors.

Offer Valid: 10/14/04 8:00am CST through 10/14/04 8:00pm CST

OFFER AVAILABLE ONLINE ONLY: Save 30% on select Dimension™ desktop purchases $999 or more (before tax)! May not be combinable with dollars off, percentage off and select other promotions. Only one coupon may be applied per cart at checkout.

Coupon Code: RVJ4709SL0STB4

The Home & Home Office site and offers contained herein valid only for end users and not for resellers and/or online auctions. Specifications, availability and terms of offers may change without notice. Taxes, fees and shipping charges extra, and vary. U.S. Dell Home Systems Co. new purchases online only. Purchase limit of 5 systems per order, but coupon discount applies to only 1 system per cart. Dell cannot be responsible for pricing or other errors, and reserves the right to cancel orders arising from such errors.

Offer Valid: 10/14/04 12:00am expires 11:59pm CST 10/14/04

In order to post this coupon, you must include the following disclosure on your site: “Coupon code expires after first 1500 uses”.

$25 off Electronics and Accessories orders of $250 and more (before tax and shipping) purchased online from the Electronics and Accessories site. (excluding Dell Branded configurable items) Coupon code expires after first 1500 uses.

Coupon Code: RVXHNWQXLSJT9M

Coupon code expires after first 1500 uses. Prices, availability and terms of offer may change without notice. Taxes and shipping charges are extra, vary and are not subject to discount. May be combined with other select offers or discounts. Valid for new U.S. online purchases through the Dell Home Systems Electronics and Accessories site only. Offer does not apply to and is not available with systems or items purchased through the online systems configurator, refurbished items or spare parts. Purchase limit of 10 same items per order, but any applicable discounts apply to only the first 5 same items per order. Dell cannot be responsible for pricing or other errors, and reserves the right to cancel orders arising from such errors. Limit 1 per customer, 1 use per coupon.

Offer Valid:10/14/04 6:00am CST through 10/15/04 5:59am CST

OFFER AVAILABLE ONLINE ONLY: Save $200 on select Inspiron™ notebook purchases $999 or more (before tax)! May not be combinable with Inspiron 1000’s, Outrageous Deals, Recommended Solutions, Deals of the Week, dollars off, percentage off and select other promotions. Only one coupon may be applied per cart at checkout.

Coupon Code: D?2V9PV$B90Q42

Offer Valid:10/14/04 6:00am CST through 10/15/04 5:59am CST

OFFER AVAILABLE ONLINE ONLY: Save $350 on select Inspiron™ notebook purchases $1499 or more (before tax)! May not be combinable with Inspiron 1000’s, Outrageous Deals, Recommended Solutions, Deals of the Week, dollars off, percentage off and select other promotions. Only one coupon may be applied per cart at checkout.

Coupon Code: TGT116GRC29MLC

Offer Valid:10/14/04 12:00am CST to 6/20 expires 10/18/04 11:59pm CST

Save $250 on the Dell W1700 17" LCD TV (before tax and shipping) purchased online from the Electronics and Accessories site. May not be combinable with dollars off, percentage off and select other promotions. Coupon code expires after first 1500 uses.

Coupon Code: W8074V7FDNR292

Coupon code expires after first 1500 uses. Prices, availability and terms of offer may change without notice. Taxes and shipping charges are extra, vary and are not subject to discount. May be combined with other select offers or discounts. Valid for new U.S. online purchases through the Dell Home Systems Electronic and Accesories site only. Offer does not apply to and is not available with systems or items purchased through the online systems configurator, refurbished items or spare parts. Purchase limit of 10 same items per order, but any applicable discounts apply to only the first 5 same items per order. Dell cannot be responsible for errors in typography or photography. Limit 1 per customer, 1 use per coupon.

Offer Valid:10/14/04 12:00am CST to 6/20 expires 10/18/04 11:59pm CST

Save $300 on the Dell W2300 23" LCD TV (before tax and shipping) purchased online from the Electronics and Accessories site. May not be combinable with dollars off, percentage off and select other promotions. Coupon code expires after first 500 uses.

Coupon Code: JWR3GMZD0LVSLH

Argh!!!

I got the 9100. It arrived three days ago, with a 9700 video card (which is what I ordered).

I can’t go for more than 10 minutes without video corruption. Some games it looks like a shadow, other games I get weird purples and blues (which makes it somewhat difficult to play).

I’ve been on with clueless Dell support for almost 2 hours. I’m on my fourth person. And I keep getting shafted from one to another! It seems that none of them are willing to figure out what the actual problem is.

sigh

The problem sounds twofold:

1. Your video card is damaged.
  2. You’re not being forceful enough on the phone. :lol:

Tell them you’re getting exasperated, and that either they send someone out to fix your laptop, or you are returning it for a refund.

I did actually finally get them to diagnose the vid card as bad. At which point, I spent 10 minutes arguing with the hardware support gal that yes, they could just send me a video card and I’d send them back the defective one. After she said they couldn’t, I talked to her manager (which also took about 10 mins to get the manager on the phone). The manager said “no problem, let me connect you with the depot, and they’ll go ahead and get your info and send you the video card.”

Needless to say, the depot folks said they can’t send a video card, that I’d need to ship them the computer and they’d have it back in “a couple of weeks” with a fixed video card. When I said that wouldn’t be good enough, I was transferred to customer care (my 7th Dell employee of the night, and the call now crossing the 3 hour threshold). When I finally spoke with someone in customer care, they said “we can take care of you, but the computers are down. Call back in an hour.”

Does anyone else find it ironic that the computers are down AT A COMPUTER HELP DESK?

Anyway, Roger, good advice – I’ll be a little more forceful when I call customer care tomorrow (I was pretty sure a call tonight would result in an aneurysm, which would upset my wife since she needs me to help paint the new house… :) )

I have a D600 for work and in general I would recommend it as it’s pretty reasonable from a price standpoint and the overall performance is solid.

If you’re looking for a nice work computer that you can also game on, I’d give it a thumbs up. If you’re looking for something to do really serious up to the minute gaming, you might want something with a bit more video power.

Pre