Help me pick a NAS for home use.

That’s just it, this isn’t for backups. I have the google drive mounted as a read/write disk, with unlimited storage, and it’s faster than my local synology NAS. I both read and write to it at just under 100 megabytes per second.

The only limitation is that you can only do non-sequential reads, not writes. So you can’t like, install programs there. But it’s essentially unlimited storage for media and of course yes, backups too.

Amazing. Do you have the Plex pass that lets you run a Plex Cloud server remotely? You could have a perfect setup without spending a dime on local energy.

No, but that wouldn’t work anyway as the data is all fully encrypted. If you go to that account’s google drive on the web, you just see tons of files named random 20+ character strings. For Plex to work, you need to mount the google drive using rclone with the proper key and salt to decrypt the data. Rclone can mount on linux, MacOS, and (in beta) Windows.

You could of course run Plex in “the cloud” from a VM, like the one the Qt3 frontpage is hosted on. Just not from Plex’s cloud service.

I’m looking at getting a QNAP box (Synology may have better apps but they cost 20-40% more) --any QT3ers have firsthand experience?

No, but I’ve been on the lookout for one, too. If you end up finding a decent deal in Canada, please do let me know!

The TS-431P was $350 last week $380 this week.

Why not just get gigabit internet at home, guuyyyyyyyyyys?

Can’t. Live in a condo where it’s only copper to the building. Or else I would.

That was my attempt at trolling.

Gigabit to my home is about as likely as Superman being real.

I’m in a weird limbo where there are fibre optic lines running to my townhouse complex, with cat 5e from the communication closet directly to my house’s demarcation point, put in place by a company that got bought out by the local telco, who promptly shut their residential service down and now only offers DSL. And due to my distance from the CO, the fastest speed to which I can subscribe is 25 Mbps down, 1 Mbps up. To top it off, the normally competitive cable company doesn’t offer service to my 2002 complex, because we were wired with that fibre, which was originally used to carry an early IPTV and cable competitor. I don’t foresee any of that changing. One day cellular broadband will be unlimited and fast enough for it to not matter, though. That’s my last, best hope.

But your tales of living in the future amaze and confuse me. Don’t stop telling them.

I see that on Amazon right now for $279.00 American - could I stream media directly to my Chromecasts from this?

The telco I used to work for now has 250 up/down in BC and AB.

Stusser do you know of a guide I could follow to set something similar up?

Not offhand, but I’m sure they exist. Basically you either get a free EDU google account or sign up for gsuite ($10/month), add the gdrive and encrypted gdrive with rclone, sync your data with rclone copy (essentially rsync), then mount the drive with rclone mount. Not much more to it really.

It’s much trickier on windows as rclone doesn’t mount there without an alpha version, but all pretty clear on linux and MacOS.

thanks, sounds like a fun project for this long holiday weekend. As I have ATT gigapower and I have the bandwidth to spare.

the datahoarders subreddit has reported ebay-bought gdrive accounts have been getting disabled

I never suggested buying an account on eBay. Those are all fraudulant, people with admin rights on an EDU GSuite reselling accounts. Got to expect they’ll get caught eventually.

Either find a college to sign up for an account or pay google $10/month for GSuite.

nope, didn’t suggest that you did. sorry if it seemed that way. was a tangent remarking on how some of them who obtained unlimited accounts other ways.

Actually from reading up on it a bit, those resellers weren’t admins at real EDUs committing fraud-- instead they had their own domains and told Google they were non-profit or EDU, and I guess Google didn’t really make them prove it. So they got free GSuites with unlimited users, and then (contrary to the TOS) resold accounts for $15 or whatever apiece. Looking at those Ebay sellers, some of them made $30k or so off this scheme.

Anyway, my EDU account from a real school still works fine.

I have an hs-251 (the fanless media-box). What do you wanna know?

I bought it almost a year ago, and at some point it intermittently stopped booting. Weirdly, I can connect it via HDMI to my old 4:3 monitor to see a console screen, which helped me decide to call QNAP and get a warranty fix/replacement. The fixed box has been completely fine now.

I don’t use any of its apps now. Pre-fix, I had used the built-in torrent app, and it suspiciously started chewing up bandwidth serving stuff I can’t even see, so I stopped using it.

I only use it as a remote storage, JBOD setup. I’m amused that I can run docker with it…no idea what I wanna do with that.